Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  My Aviaries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Aviaries  (Read 38325 times)
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »

Older post, but I was wondering how Alberta 67 made out. I have several pairs of Chukar, all prs. have 150sq' runs, the grass lasted about a week. Chukar will defoliate any green from their runs almost overnight.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

Seems I missed a couple pictures, of how I did the front yard perimeter chain link fence. It is all 9ga galvanized wire. Three foot underground. I used a garden tiller to loosen the soil, hand shovel, till some more.....till I had a trench 12-16" deep on the outside. The 3' wire was attached to the upright 6' wire with stainless bull rings every 4".

This was done in 2006. So far no Deer have jumped the fence. No digging critters have tried to get in. Yet.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »

You went to all of that trouble and you are going to move..... s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 12:27:15 PM »

Someday, yes. I want to "retire" in B.C. But that is many years down the road....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »

Now all you need is some razor wire for the top.   :wink:

You don't need any pens for your birds, just clip one wing and let 'em run around in the yard.    :grin:

kp1
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:03:41 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

Man I can stop looking at that picture...CH is right!!!!! I would give my left #@% to have a fenced in area like that...

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of a guy who is a heavy equipment operator and uses a tiller and and shovel to dig a ditch like that.     dh3

s20
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:00:51 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »

Reeves,

s98  Very impressive to say the least.

All I can say is when and if you decide to retire and move back to B.C., you better hope the next person that is buying you property and home is as enthusiastic about birds as you are. Otherwise, all has gone in vain.

Or you can knock down all the pens, leave the buildings up and sell it as a mini compound to some leftist radical..  s020  j45

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »

I have a friend that can use a shovel that good....I never did learn how... s020

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

Funny bunch eh !  ::)

When I continue the fence around the back yard I'll be using a mini excavator.....that ditch was way too much fun to dig by hand !

Steve....the fence has raised the value of the place far greater than what it cost !
However, if the next owners do not raise birds....the landscaping/trees will be an odd thing to deal with  :grin:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

Funny bunch eh !  ::)

When I continue the fence around the back yard I'll be using a mini excavator.....that ditch was way too much fun to dig by hand !

Steve....the fence has raised the value of the place far greater than what it cost !
However, if the next owners do not raise birds....the landscaping/trees will be an odd thing to deal with  :grin:

Did the fencing also raise your property taxes?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »

Nope.
But a "blind" assessment did !
They upped it due to land prices going through the roof in AB. Then it crashes. But the taxes didn't go down !
I did not press the matter....with all the improvements I've made , if they came out here I'd likely end up paying a lot more....
quail man

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »

dang reeves you have somehuge pens mine are small probabbly cus i live in the outercity :sad: i would love to build something like that
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »

You are better off going with fewer birds, and bigger pens, than using small pens. Small pens are a disservice to the birds.
Build to suit the birds, not yourself.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »

yes my aviaries are almost to big some guys tell me that my golden pens are to big and that is a reason they aren't breeding well...

Reeves I was in our farm story today and was buying feed and saw grit for sale and I was like i need to get some for some of my pens that don't have sand and what not in them (just dirt/grass floors) and then i remembered your Reeves pen with the 2x4s that made kind of a sandbox (cause i had looked at this topic a couple days ago) and I was like nope i am not going to buy grit i am going to get some sand and what not and make the sandbox Reeves did so they also can dust themselves...so i went to buy some more wood screws and that is the project for this afternoon  :laugh: thanks for the idea and all the help!

PS-nice chain-link fence good work!  s98
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »