Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  My Aviaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Aviaries  (Read 38328 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: January 20, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »

This picture is looking north, at the south side of the pen. The first 12' is treated wood and will be stained this summer so it matches the rest of the wood. You can see some lath in the pen, it is covered with wire so the Con Easter will survive the Amherst. When it has grown high enough the wire/lath shall be removed.
Note that the wire is just normal 1" chicken wire. I am installing a chain link predator fence at this time. The posts are concreted in, around the whole front yard. The 6' fence goes up this weekend, and the 3' bottom underground will be installed this weekend as well.
The "house" is 5'x8'. Tin sides and roof. The sand bath and grit area is covered. The Amherst side starts at the house, extends 36 feet out & extends away from you , in an L shape. They have 576 sq. ft. run.
The ribbon has been put all the way around. It is so Deer can see something & not blow through the pen. When the fence is done, the ribbon will come down.
Note the gillotine type door on their house. It is closed each night, opened in the early AM. Not even a mouse can get inside at night.
House is wired, so heat/light. Also a heated water dish for the winter.
Both pics taken May 1st.

In this next picture you can see that on the inside of the L shape, I built a run for my Quail. The small "house" is 10'x4'x2'. The green covered part is heated. The next section, where you see clear plastic is their food and water area, next a grit area, next their sand bath. From that end the can enter their grassed and landscaped area. The "house" is devided down the center, so 20 sq. ft. , then the run for each side is 72 sq. ft. = 92 sq. ft. for each pair of California Valley Quail I have in there. In there runs I planted Dwarf Mugo Pine(one side) and Dwarf Cedars(other side) and red and black Currants in each side. Grass & clover base. I replced the wire on this small pen with welded wire, after the Badger attack last year. Stainless screws and washers to attach it.
This picture is looking south, at the north side of the pen.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:34:38 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »

My Valley male watching for predators, because his 8 chicks are out in the run

The light colored wood in the back ground is another pen...
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

I work in the bush and often find some interesting wood. The above tree has been placed in the Amherst pen. Works as a decorative and roof support.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=3540.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:06:44 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »

Since it is mainly the wife that has to deal with my Reeves, I built a guillotine style door. (I also have them on all my bird "houses", as they are locked each night & opened each early morning, year round)
In this first picture is the east side. When we want him inside, we just walk over by the window, in he goes & up on a ledge. We then lower the door to keep him in , so we can do what is needed in the run. To keep him out of the "house" we just stand next to the wire & while he tries to remove my knee caps, close the door. We can then work inside without him ripping our legs off.

The next two pictures are how the door was made.

In this next one the door has been opened, with me in the pen (fast picture !)

This building and run is going next spring. Going to build a new "house" and a much larger run. (Goldens in the far side) So, if you see something you don't like, too bad  :lol:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

In the above picture is the sand bath and grit area for the Golden. I first build a frame out of 2x4s, then fill and stomp down 3/4" drain rock. When it is level with the top, I then staple a felt like filter cloth over the frame. Then build another frame on top of that, fill with sand/grit.
This lets it drain very well and even after a rain it drys out very fast. All my pens sand/grit areas have a roof over them as well.

This next picture is of the Reeves side. I have lots to do yet. For one, I have to finish the Golden expansion. I'll also be re-building their house (I'll explain more later).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:38:14 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »

I moved to this place about 3.5 years ago. So much has not been finished & much has to be planed out, and too many projects on the go. Priorities have to be set...like my shop. Woodpeckers have made a mess of the north and east sides, now I have to replace 10-15 sheets of plywood, fix/replace some insulation, then get the siding on. So money spent there delays other things , like pens...
Anyway, this is the Reeves (near side) and Golden pen. I plan on where the pen will be, plant trees etc so all will get established before birds are there. Note the flagging tape. Had Deer blow through the pen twice. I have chain link up now & it has kept Deer, Coyotes etc out (3' underground all around).

Another pen and building. I had a Yellow Golden trio in when I moved here. Sold them: down sized till I can catch up.
The trees in the foreground have been removed/trans planted. The two rows of Cedars have been added to. In this picture you are looking south (at the north side of the building).

In this next picture, you are looking sort of north west(ish).
The run is 12'x12' then the sand/grit area = 280 sq. ft. (includes inside of house).

The 8'x14' building came with the place. I moved it to where I wanted it. I then built a floor on the floor, insulated R-20 in the floor, walls and roof. I installed a 110v base board type heater, lights etc.

As well as two sliding double glaze windows.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

Ok, some added info....

In the pictures (some 2-3 years old) some changes have been made. In the last one (grey building) the 12'x12' run was removed and used to extend the Reeves pen. I also have much to do to it all. I'll be lifting the building and pouring a concrete base. Then add onto the north side a covered sand/grit area , same as on the south end. Then build the runs. I'll be going 14'x14' on each end. Tin will cover from the snad/grit on the south to north ends (26' long). The runs will make this whole project 110' long.
The Yellow's had a total of 280 sq. ft. when in there (includes house). When finished, each end will be 636 sq. ft. (not including house space). Siding will also cover the outside of the building. More planting as well. Vines to climb the wire.
I will also be going with the plastic coated wire (on all pens , over time).

A note to keep in mind. These pens are not the do all end all of pens. Many people have pens that are better/different. Each time I build, it seems I can find ways to improve the structures in some way.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:39:19 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »

Don't forget that part of a play ground needs a sand box !
I build a 2x4 frame, put in and stomp down 3/4" drain rock, till level with the top of that frame. Cover/attach a filter cloth (like thick felt) . Then build another frame. This allows it to dry fast. Although this area is covered, the sides are not. They use it year round.
In the picture, I have just changed out the sand and grit. The near hen is in the sand, far hen standing on the grit. Grit is 1/4 minus gravel, with #2 granite grit mixed in: they pick what they want.
Tabo to disturb a Reeves hen sand bathing ! They'll stay put, but they (sort of) growl at anything that gets near.

Sharpshooter

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »

Thanks for this thread,I picked up some good ideas. Nick
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »

Don't know (without re-reading it all) if I mentioned...no nails were used in any of the constrution: all coated deck screws. Mostly 3".
makesmiles

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:28:06 PM »

a24  Reeves, I must say those are really nice pens.  You must really love those birds to go to so much effort.  I wish you best.

David
greyghost
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »

I wish my windows were that good. Damnit! s49
ALBERTA 67

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

very nice pens reeves, I'm building a pen off of my shop for the chuckars I'm getting.I'm thinking about making it 50 ft + 50ft. this should be good for 40 chuckars or should i just go 50 + 75 and play it safe?it will have alfalfa and cereal grains planted in it for cover and pecking if they wish.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »

Plant some grass seed as well. (always best to set pens up at least a year ahead of time )
First things to go in my pens are the dandelions and clover. Grass lasts a long time.
ALBERTA 67

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »

It already has the grass and alfalfa seeded so i just have to seed the cereal grains
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »