Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Way Off Forum..ID Needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Way Off Forum..ID Needed  (Read 13491 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: December 20, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »

s6                                                                                                             s12

I know this is way off forum topic, but...............

Can anyone identify this object?

I've had it for many years, don't even remember where I got it at.   I believe that it is complete, except for possibly a wooden lid may have been on the top?   It is about 28" tall, 16" wide and 24" deep.  Knobs on doors look as if they were poured like bullets would have been into a mold, none of them are exactly the same.  Appears to have been a manufactured piece, but with very, very old hardware (nails, rivets, metal strapping, etc.) and jointery technics. No threads on anything, not even the knobs, they are like nails (thumbtacks with big heads(knob part) so to speak), that where driven into drawer fronts and then bent the nail part over on the inside. All the drawers have  3/16" galvanized hardware cloth in the bottoms and you can see clear through it,  from the top through the bottom. I believe it to be a very old item. I've got an uneducated guess as to what it is, but I'll wait see if anybody else has an idea.            ???        No matter what it is, it's not for sale.   :-|   

Thanks!!

This will be reffered to as item: "A"    ........as I have one other item I need help with ID that I will post in this same thread.

(Click pic to enlarge):

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:43:00 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »

Looks like a storage for fossils/bones/dried specimens. I see them on discovery channel all the time.  :grin:

by the way, since this is the General forum, you are very much on topic. :razz:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »

I'm 100% sure I know what it is & will PM you what it is. For now the others can guess  :angel:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »

Looks like a storage for fossils/bones/dried specimens. I see them on discovery channel all the time.  :grin:

by the way, since this is the General forum, you are very much on topic. :razz:

Genius!!  I never thought of that as a possibility.   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »

This is item "B".

Also have had it for many years hanging on garage wall, and very old, and I believe that it has something to do with cotton, possibly cotton picking? It is about 7" long overall. Possibly held in your hand when used?

Please refer to as item:   "B"

(Click on pic to enlarge):

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:10:14 PM »

I first thought it looked like an old bee hive.  It would make a nice hatcher, with lids on each tray.

But after a little thought (and a few cans of Charliehorse special), I realized it was a fine example of Ron Popeile's Grandpa's first infomercial hit the Ronco handy-dandy coal fired dehydrator.  Not for $24.95, or even $19.95, telegraph in the next week, and we'll let you have it for a mere $14.95  But wait, there's more; if we receive your telegram within 48 hours, we'll include a supply of low sulphur coal to quickly dry your bannaners, apples, or Buffalo Flank.

This reply was in reference to Item A, of course.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 11:24:58 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »

But after a little thought (and a few cans of Charliehorse special), I realized it was a fine example of Ron Popeile's Grandpa's first infomercial hit the Ronco handy-dandy coal fired dehydrator.  Not for $24.95, or even $19.95, telegraph in the next week, and we'll let you have it for a mere $14.95  But wait, there's more; if we receive your telegram within 48 hours, we'll include a supply of low sulphur coal to quickly dry your bannaners, apples, or Buffalo Flank.

s020

I know I've seen item "B".....but darned if I can remember right now !
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:21 AM »

I don't know what Item B is called, or it's specific use, but I do know how it works.  Just a few more cans, and that will make sense to y'all, too.

Maybe this will jog Reeves' memory.

Think about Venusian blinds.  The mechanism that allows raising, lowering, and locking them at any height.   The rope looped through the pulley, and, probably back through the eye.  Or possibly another rope tied through the eye to anchor one end, or release the lock.  This could have been used for lifting, then locking the load while driving a wagon under, or out from under the load.  Hay bales lifted with tongs, perhaps.  Cotton wouldn't likely have been lifted, this way, as cotton bales are much too large (unless many were used in unison).

Another use for this would be to bind a load, together (like fence posts), or fasten it onto a wagon.  Much like the web tie downs we use today.

The spike on this one would suggest a specific purpose.  Was it forced into hay, cotton, ice, or logs?  Or, is it more of a handle, or lever used to lock, and unlock the binder?

Play with it, try fastening a piece of rope to the eye.  Run that in one direction over a rank of firewood.  Run another piece of rope through the pulley to go the other direction.  Finding which way the levers flip to lock, and unlock the rope, will show you better how it worked.  Also try tying the rope from the eye over a rafter.  Tie a load on one end of the rope that is through the pulley.  Try to lift the load, and lock it, suspended above the floor.

Now go find some old timer, who remembers what his paw told him.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 03:08:38 AM »

I see some one has been to an antique store, or in Grannies attic. s020

Are you giving them away as Christmas Presents? c181 s020 j41

What will CharlieHorse come up with next?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »

But after a little thought (and a few cans of Charliehorse special), I realized it was a fine example of Ron Popeile's Grandpa's first infomercial hit the Ronco handy-dandy coal fired dehydrator.  Not for $24.95, or even $19.95, telegraph in the next week, and we'll let you have it for a mere $14.95  But wait, there's more; if we receive your telegram within 48 hours, we'll include a supply of low sulphur coal to quickly dry your bannaners, apples, or Buffalo Flank.

This reply was in reference to Item A, of course.

:grin:   ROFLMAO!    I've got plenty of coal too.  Everyone has always thought beehive at first glance too!

I don't know what Item B is called, or it's specific use, but I do know how it works.  Just a few more cans, and that will make sense to y'all, too.

Maybe this will jog Reeves' memory.

Yeh, I see how it works, but just don't know its specific use.  A couple years ago, I accidentally run across it on the internet. And then completely forgot where I found it, and its specific use.  :-|  I'm almost certain that it had something to do with cotton, but I can not find any information about it again. The only thing I can recall, is that I was surprised as to its purpose and how it was used. Meanwhile, my friend Bud has managed to erase my memmory.  :x   s53

I see some one has been to an antique store, or in Grannies attic.

::)  That's a negative!!    ^-^   And "NO" on Christmas present!!  I'm what some refer to as a "PackRat".

I've actually had item "A"  for about 30 years and item "B" for probably 20 years.  I think that item "B" came from my Granfather, it was in an old wooden box full of goodies that my grandfather gave me, and it's in the rafters of my garage still full of antique odds and ends. 

I always thought that item "A" was a seed dryer of some sort?

Thanks for all the help!!  Please keep the ideas coming.   c53
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:51:32 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Byrd

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »

I cant tell, without looking at it up close. But it looks like only a part, that gos to a old pendulum style scale.  My dad had one in Tenn. when I was a kid.   He used it to weigh hogs ( meat).   I guess it originally could have been used to weigh bales of cotton.

The road is rocky, but wont be rocky long
Dodgegal79
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »

Item B is for a wire rope, part of a pully system. My dad still uses stuff like that to move stuff around the yard. he's 76, so its seems new to him. They are great for using ina winch set up, they can double the weight you are able to pull with a winch .
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 07:14:59 AM »

I'm with Dodgegal, its a binder/mover, works fine, I got one around here somewhere. There was an original purpose complete with brand name but I long forgot it.

I also think A is a dehyrator of some type, possibly seeds.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

I also think A is a dehyrator of some type, possibly seeds.

Too dry......you guys need to think more wet  :wink:
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »

You're a hard man Charlie !   c29

Are you going to make us wait until tomorrow ??

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »