Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  US Dept of Fish and Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Dept of Fish and Game  (Read 7203 times)
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« on: October 11, 2007, 02:00:16 PM »

So this AM, my sister-in-law calls to say she saw the fish and game warden pulling out of my driveway from the pen areas.  I nor my husband are home today.

I called F&G and asked why they were there without 24 hours notice.  Where has this officer been prior to arriving at my place (bio-hazard reasons) and what the hell was he doing there.  Still waiting for a call back.

So my question to you all is:  Have you ever had a game warden just show up for no reason?  I live in CA and I have all my permits and ect...   I think he has to give me 24 hr notice prior to inspection and the bio hazard thing really upsets me. 

Any comments?
Teresa

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

they have the right to inspect without warning nor you being there. On the flip side most give you a curtiousy notice unless they have concerns. So  with that being said I have no ideal what going on but they do have that right.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:28:23 PM »

I know nothing of any rights of authority they may or may not permit themselves to have.

I do, very much, understand your position.

Although, 24 hrs notice would practically make their inspections meaningless. I grew up working on a neighbors dairy farm. They knew when health inspectors where coming and the place got straightened/cleaned up a few days prior to the inspection..........every time!  The place was always a dump otherwise.  In the dairy business maybe it was just a way to get farmers to at least clean up every once in a while?  :eek:   There were also alot of Dairy Farmers to "fight" the system.........unlike the gamebird/wildlife raisers.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:31:29 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 04:54:39 AM »

So this AM, my sister-in-law calls to say she saw the fish and game warden pulling out of my driveway from the pen areas.  I nor my husband are home today.

I called F&G and asked why they were there without 24 hours notice.  Where has this officer been prior to arriving at my place (bio-hazard reasons) and what the hell was he doing there.  Still waiting for a call back.

So my question to you all is:  Have you ever had a game warden just show up for no reason?  I live in CA and I have all my permits and ect...   I think he has to give me 24 hr notice prior to inspection and the bio hazard thing really upsets me. 

Any comments?
Teresa

Teresa,

In the state of WV, before I made complaints about game farm inspection, they came whenever and whatever time they felt. Now the regulations have been changed to, call, to make an appointment for inspections and only during normal business hours.

They still have the option to show up anytime they please, if and only if, they suspect probable cause. So if I had a neighbor or someone on this forum decided to hassle me and drop a dime to my state DNR, that I was doing some illegal actions pertaining to wildlife then there would be probable cause and then they would show up uninvited.

If I were you, I would file a formal complaint to the state F & G Commission, and not the local district office.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »

Yeah, I called the main office in Sacramento yesterday.  The F&G Officer called me back yesterday.  Said he was just passing thru and wanted to see how things were going.  He said he didn't stick around long and there were no problems.   

I have nothing to hide and everything I do is legal.  But it just really got under my skin that someone was prowling around my property while we were not at home.  I think we are going to get any automatic gate system and not give out the code. 

I have no problem with inspections at anytime.  All my animals, including the birds are clean, healthy and well cared for.  But it was just the point of the matter, he could have given me a call first.  My phone number is on the sign posted right out at the road. 

I really think he was looking for something other than the welfare of my birds.  It's deer season and everyone brings their deer here to butcher.  We have a full butchering area in my husbands shop.  So I think his intentions were otherwise now that we have thought about it at little more.  I don't know how long he stayed or where he went.  But I still am pissed about the bio-hazard concern.  How do I know where he came from before coming here.  He could have had contact with other birds or game. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »

Yeah, I called the main office in Sacramento yesterday.  The F&G Officer called me back yesterday.  Said he was just passing thru and wanted to see how things were going.  He said he didn't stick around long and there were no problems.   

I have nothing to hide and everything I do is legal.  But it just really got under my skin that someone was prowling around my property while we were not at home.  I think we are going to get any automatic gate system and not give out the code. 

I have no problem with inspections at anytime.  All my animals, including the birds are clean, healthy and well cared for.  But it was just the point of the matter, he could have given me a call first.  My phone number is on the sign posted right out at the road. 

I really think he was looking for something other than the welfare of my birds.  It's deer season and everyone brings their deer here to butcher.  We have a full butchering area in my husbands shop.  So I think his intentions were otherwise now that we have thought about it at little more.  I don't know how long he stayed or where he went.  But I still am pissed about the bio-hazard concern.  How do I know where he came from before coming here.  He could have had contact with other birds or game. 

Teresa,

After reading your post again (the first) You mentioned, US Dept of Fish and Game I take it that you were in error and meant CA Fish & Wildlife, am I correct in this assumption?

I can also see if you are advertising the butchering of deer during the hunting season, where the Game Warden would have probable cause to be snooping around . I can also see him stopping by at any time just to check on the tagged deer.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »

Yes, my error Calif Dept of Fish and Game.  We don't advertise for butchering.  We just have lots of friends and neighbors that use our place for butchering.  Can he just wonder around when no one is home?  He knows us, he should have at least called.  He as butchered deer himself here.  I am most concered about the bio-hazard thing.  I don't think he will do it again, I talked to him at length again and he understands my concerns about his bringing in hazards to my birds. 

I really thought he was suppose to give 24 notice prior to entering my property. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »

Yes, my error Calif Dept of Fish and Game.  We don't advertise for butchering.  We just have lots of friends and neighbors that use our place for butchering.  Can he just wonder around when no one is home?  He knows us, he should have at least called.  He as butchered deer himself here.  I am most concered about the bio-hazard thing.  I don't think he will do it again, I talked to him at length again and he understands my concerns about his bringing in hazards to my birds. 

I really thought he was suppose to give 24 notice prior to entering my property. 

I wouldn't think he would just be wandering around. Someone must of dropped a dime on ya. Normally when any of these game wardens and I am stating all and each and every state, when found uninvited has some form of probable cause.

The only precautions about the bio-hazards would be if he was actually in the pen area, brooder area, hatching area.

When I get my yearly inspection from the WV DNR, we go over the paperwork and then he will walk around the perimeter area of the pen. They are no longer permitted inside the pen/housing/brooder/hatching facilities, due to the bio-hazard concerns.

The only personnel granted permission to enter those areas are the WV Dept of Ag., when they show up every 90 day to do the AI swabs, they are fully suited up, with new clothing. When he is finished with his job, he then sprays his truck and all the bio-clothing that he is wearing get tossed in a red bio-hazard plastic bag.

As far as the issue of them just showing up, have the rules and regulations changed to reflect that any game farm inspections must be done during normal business hours and a phone call must be placed to setup for the date and time.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

Here they give you a call to be nice but like Steve said they can come at will if they suspect something without calling. Game wardens do not have to have a search warrant to go anywhere if they have probable cuase including kicking in your door and going into your freezer if he thinks there is ill taged game in it. Also when you sign up for your permit if you read the rules it states that they have the right to inspect your property at any time. They do take saftey precuations and do respect your stuff, with that being said they have always called me and I wouldnt like it either but I would have to accept it as part of doing business.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »

Yeah, I think your both right.  I am sure he has all the rights.  Just still not too happy about it.  I will live.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »