Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  cortunix quail Feed Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cortunix quail Feed Question  (Read 5561 times)
mark

« on: October 11, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »

I have 60 Quail in a Flight Pen. My problem is my 5 Lbs feeders I have 10 of them in the Pen and I fill them everyday in the morning and everyday when I get home from work, I cant believe they eat that much Feed none of it is spilled. Any Suggestions would be helpful.

Mark
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

50-100 lb of feed per day for 60 birds??   Wowww!!  :eek:  That is a problem!  Are they mixed with ostrich?  :grin:  I don't know that I use 5lb/day for 100 birds.

What are you feeding them?

Mice, groundmoles, wild birds, etc. will up your consumption too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:12:49 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »

Mark:  I would suspect you have mice.  A lot of them.  There is no way that those birds are eating that much.  Try sneaking in with a flashlight at night.  I bet you will see what it eating all that food. :laugh:

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
mark

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:31:21 AM »

Since the posting, I was outside watching my birds and behold the birds ate one whole feeder. So I dont think its mice.

Mark
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »

60 Coturnix that haven't eaten since sundown may well be able to polish off several pounds of feed in short order.  But then what?  You have 60 full Quail, and 9 full feeders.

I have one pen with sixty some Quail (Bobwhites).  They eat something less than 5 pounds per day, fairly high protein.

Another pen with about 25 Coturnix.  A scoop of 16% layer crumbles lasts most of the day.  Every third day, or so, I let them empty the trough, to utilize the extra fine particles, and allows me to clean the trough without wasting feed.  When I refill it they act like they've been starved a whole week, rather than a couple of hours (these are adult birds).  They don't eat more than 1/3 (maybe a pound), before backing off.

Try feed you know is fresh ground.  If you have birds eating a pound of feed per day, slaughter them, and start over.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »

:oops:

What are you feeding them?  Bread crumbs, oats, crackers, cracked corn, gamebird crumble, what %%  :???:

:wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mark

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 01:09:15 AM »

22% Game Bird Finisher is what I feed my birds

Mark
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 01:26:21 AM »

I have never heard of nor seen birds eat that much either.

I know the bigger varient of quails like XLD1/2's and Butler/Georgian Giant bobwhites will eat close to that ratio per size while they are chicks but have never seen that much consumption while matured. They will tend to eat more during winter to put on fat layers though.

Let's hope your birds get as big as chickens...if not, I'd butcher them. Im still curious to know if they are infact eating 50lb a day?  :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »