Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Jumbo Wisconsin Bobwhite Quail Eggs Available
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jumbo Wisconsin Bobwhite Quail Eggs Available  (Read 13222 times)
Meadows Quail Farm

Meadows Quail Farm

« on: October 04, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »

Hey Everyone we still have Quail Eggs Available for shipment daily, let me know if you are interested, Thanks Freda & George Meadows.
JUMBO WISCONSIN BOBWHITE QUAIL EGGS

Quail Egg Prices            Shipping Prices*         Total
25.…………….$20.00                 $5.00                                   $25.00
50.…………….$30.00                 $6.00                                   $36.00
100.…………..$43.00                 $7.00           $50.00
120.…………..$50.00                                            $7.00                                   $57.00
200.…………..$80.00                                          $10.00            $90.00
300.…………..$105.00                                          $12.00                                  $117.00
500.…………..$145.00                                          $17.00                                  $162.00
600.…………..$168.00                                          $17.00                                  $185.00
800.…………..$224.00                                          $18.00                          $242.00
1000.…………$260.00                                         $20.00                                   $280.00
1200.…………$312.00                                         $24.00                                   $336.00

Meadows Quail Farm
P.O. Box 338
Wadley, GA 30477
Ph 478-377-3108
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »

Hi

What do your Jumbo Wisc and Ga birds mature at ?  16 oz ?

Will 2008 prices be the same or how much higher ?

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »

I would like to know that mature size too.  How do these two compare to the Butlers?

I am interested in all three strains eventhough they have different sizes.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »

I guess my real question from above it what was the Jumbo breed for....flying, meat...what is its specialty over the Georgia and Butlers.  I am looking to have several varieties myself.
chlt lab

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »

Hi

The Jumbo Wisconsin is supposedly a natural found in nature breed specific to the upper midwest northern fringe of the quail range when the whiteman first set foot here. It wasn't crossed with anything.

They are about 12 oz at maturity. A little heavier boned & feathered than a standard Northern bobwhite and take the cold a little better. Dressed out they are hard to tell from the Northerns.

Jerome
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

So these are not a domesticated, but rather a natural strain that occured after natural slection selected for a slightly larger more robust bird in the northern areas.

Am I reading this correctly? So is this the same as the Georgia, or were they breed for size?
chlt lab

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »

Hi

From what I have been told Jumbo Wisconsin are natural accuring and Georgias have been bred for size.

I started with Jumbo's three years ago as my first quail because they were supposed to be native and natural accuring to the "northern fringe" of the bobwhite area.  Last summer I ordered some northerns that were cheap and have had alot of problems. Sounds like my northerns were so cheap because of inbreeding issues. I have cross billed birds, weak birds, and cannibalism issues with my northerns.  Anyway not much size difference between the two but the Jumbo's are a little larger.

I guess Georgia's have been selectively bred for size for about 30 years now.

My main interest in quail is for dog training. I have been doing all the research I can this winter to find out about larger strains. Looking for something to replace chukars.  Looks like Georgia's are the ticket there. Mine are about the size of a small chukar but have been in indoor pens since ealy DEC do to the  extreme cold.

Jerome
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »

Hi

From what I have been told Jumbo Wisconsin are natural accuring and Georgias have been bred for size.

I started with Jumbo's three years ago as my first quail because they were supposed to be native and natural accuring to the "northern fringe" of the bobwhite area.  Last summer I ordered some northerns that were cheap and have had alot of problems. Sounds like my northerns were so cheap because of inbreeding issues. I have cross billed birds, weak birds, and cannibalism issues with my northerns.  Anyway not much size difference between the two but the Jumbo's are a little larger.

I guess Georgia's have been selectively bred for size for about 30 years now.

My main interest in quail is for dog training. I have been doing all the research I can this winter to find out about larger strains. Looking for something to replace chukars.  Looks like Georgia's are the ticket there. Mine are about the size of a small chukar but have been in indoor pens since ealy DEC do to the  extreme cold.

Jerome

Jerome--

I have two intrests for the bobwhite [1] huntclub and dog training, [2] is for meat and eggs.

I am thinking about Georgia, or Wisconsin, or Cunninghamsfor the dogs and Butlers for the meat and eggs.

I still need to find out more about the Cunninghams.  I read somewhere about the wing sizes per ounce on some of these were larger allowing for a faster stronger flier.  That is what I am hoping for.
chlt lab

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »

Between the Wisconsin and the Georgia's. I prefer the Georgia's. The Georgia's have a bigger wing spread and broader tail feathers. They seem to flush as hard as a standard and are a good flier. Better than the Wisconsin strain i had.  For dog training I would highly recommend the Georgia's. That is my main reason for having quail is training.
  I have had no dealings with the Cunninghams so can't say anything there.
  I have never heard of a Butler befor this winter and never raisied any. I did have a breeder tell me if you keep your Geogia's in a battery or breeder pen istead of a flight pen they will gain considerably and get into the 20 oz range. That would put them real close to a Butler.

Jerome
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »

for now I think I need to stick to one strain and I am already reserving eggs for Butlers.  Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »