Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  do it yourself feed and nipple water plans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: do it yourself feed and nipple water plans  (Read 6285 times)
chewchew
Expert Member

« on: August 12, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

====================================================================================

(LOWE'S)
====================================================================================
3''x10' PVC @ 1ea ------------------------------ $10.37
3" PVC cleanout w/ plug $3.26 @ 2ea-------$ 6.52
3" PVC cap 2.58 @ 2ea-------------------------$ 5.16
PVC cement 4oz @1ea- ----------------------- $ 1.94
                                                                    $23.99 w/out tax.

hardware for mounting.
=================================================================================
2 1/2" PVC conduit clamp $1.24@ 4ea------$4.96 ( they were out of 3") but they work fine too.
5/16 hex nuts $0.09 @ 8ea-------------------$0.72
5/16 hex bolts $0.17 @ 8e--------------------$1.36
5/16 fender washers $0.19 @ 8ea----------$1.52
=================================================================================                                                                  $8.56  w/out tax.
=================================================================================                                                                 $$32.55 w/out tax.
step 1:
Cut the 3"x10' PVC in to two 3"x5' Pisces.

step 2:
glue on the clean out w/plug on the cut side.

step 3: on one of the PVC caps drill holes in to the lower side on the cap about 75% around.(no need for holds they cant get to, because of wall your mounting on.) i placed them less then 1" apart.

step 4: glue cap on to clean cut side of PVC... make sure you don't block the holes!!

step5: glue the cap on to the next one the same way. but you can put all the way on. i do not have the nipples i order on hand. to put them on just drill and tap the holes on the bottom of the cap.

step 6: let glue dry... add nipples... mount.. add water...feed.. and there ya have it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:04:58 AM by chewchew » Logged

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »

you can order nipples from here:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=17664

and..

http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/2580.aspx

and..

http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/2578.aspx

feel free to repost this and use it to the fullest

thanks
sam

p.s let me know what ya think. =)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:05:30 PM by chewchew » Logged

chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »

just put them in!! =)

galaxie428

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:25:56 AM »

Looks pretty good. I have pretty much the same setup. How big of holes did you drill on the feeder one? I drilled 1/2 and I am wondering if that is too small. It seems like the food isn't dropping in where they can get it as easily as I thought it would.

Jason
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:56:58 AM »

thank you, I'm thinking I'm going to drill them a little bigger. like 3/4in. i don't want to go too big.

sam

johngordon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »

:?: Very good info. What do you guys think is the best size hole to drill in the cap for the feeder?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

What do you guys think is the best size hole to drill in the cap for the feeder?

Couldn't tell ya what size hole to drill, but have seen some made with the "feed cups" taken out of those cheap store bought wild bird feeders and installed into the side of the pipe. They have the part built onto them that holds the feed back in order to stop the constant flow.

If you wanted to drill holes, you could start with a smaller hole and just keep drilling it bigger until you get it the way you want.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »

i drilled 3/4 in holes. hope this helps. :?:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »

..........have seen some made with the "feed cups" taken out of those cheap store bought wild bird feeders and installed into the side of the pipe. They have the part built onto them that holds the feed back in order to stop the constant flow.

Such as this:

(Of course the perches can be removed or cut off.)

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »