Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  How many johnny houses
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many johnny houses  (Read 4233 times)
murphys42002

« on: May 28, 2007, 07:38:31 PM »

Hi there,
I am going build some johnny houses and I was hoping for some ideas.I am hoping some of ya'll might be willing to share some of your plans and include some pics. I am thinking of making them 4' by 4' and I'm thinking they can hold 15 to 20 birds each. Will that to many birds for that size J house? Also I am on 130 acres with good cover so I would like to know how many houses I will need.I would like to be able to train when ever I want without over working the J houses.I'm thinking 4 so that i can rotate every 4th day.

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »

Sounds like you are on the right track. A 4'X4' J-house can hold about 30 Bobs before they start getting crowded. I usually kept it between 25-30...then I have another J-house that is a tad smaller (3 1/2' X 3 1/2' if I remember correctly). That one I never let get over 25. Don't have any plans to share, as no plans were shared with me...everyone wanted to sell me some. I just looked at a bunch of pictures of J-houses, then engineered a couple based on the materials I had on hand. Do a search on my posts and you'll see mine, plus some others people posted in my threads.

Good luck!

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
SportDog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 01:13:32 PM »

Sounds like a good plan.  I am currently only using one JH and it is a 8x8 that is 7 feet tall and I have it in the center of my training area which is roughly 80 acres of prime habitat for quail..
Few things to consider:
Make it tall enough for a 6 ft door. 
cover sides at least 3 ft tall from ground.. I did 4 feet.

Here is a picture of mine.  Sorry I dont have any detailed instructions for it but as Redhorse said I just looked at pictures and started constructing.

Recall Funnel

Good luck!

Water and Feeder
oakcreek
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:29:57 AM »

how did you do your waterer.  Did you use something like a nipple on the ends?
SportDog

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:14:15 PM »

Ordered those orange nipples from Farm Tek: 
For the Water:
Bought 2 nipples from Farm Tech for $1.19 each.(Item WC1030)
Took a 4 piece section of 4 inch PVC pipe. 
Drilled two holes in the cap.
But one cap on top and the one with nipples at bottom.

murphys42002

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:59 PM »

Thanks for all the input!! I liked the waterer so much I ordered the nipples from farmtek and made the waters and now I'm working on the feeders I figure if I can make the feeders and waterers 5 ft tall that should keep them in food and water for a week. When I get them all built I'll post some pics.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »