Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Heres a Good One
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heres a Good One  (Read 6391 times)
AA Plantation
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »

I have a GSP female that hates a kennel. She can get out of anything. Electricity does not bother her. and any kennel can be climbed out or eaten out. Even tried a stake out. She is to smart can even open snap hooks. So she runs loose and doesn't bother too much. I bred her to a Setter thinking that i will get a Setter that retrieves good or a shorthair with lots of go.
I ended up with 2 setters 2 shorthairs and 5 labs. She had got around a bit.
here they all are
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »

LOL....atleast they're all not muts. :laugh:

Maybe they'll fetch a good price. heheheheh
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »

Hey AA, we had our GSP all ready to breed with another great GSP.  The neighbors Springer got her while she was tied up in our yard.  He came from a mile away. 

Ended up with 7 shorthair springers.  Nice looking.  Hopefully they all will point.  :laugh:

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
birdlover
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »

hi,
ohhh how cute!!  Are you going to keep them all, A A Plantation ?
schultz
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »

Now the decision of to dock or not to dock?
hmmm
AA Plantation
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »

I am planning on keeping the Shorthair looking pups and setter looking pups. and will dock the tails. I know from experience that setters bred with a pointer produces a sickle tail in most cases. They will be used on the preserve or wild bird hunting if they have enough go.
The lab pups will be trained as pointing labs and be sold as unregistered pointing labs bred by a lab and GSP.
Never want to misrepresent anything
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »

The phrase "pointing Lab" is currently used by the American Pointing Lab Association for Purebred labs that carry the pointing gene.  I would suggest you call them lab crosses that point to avoid confusion.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:36 AM »

I bred her to a Setter thinking that i will get a Setter that retrieves good or a shorthair with lots of go.

It sounds to me like you are trying to create a Brittany.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
AA Plantation
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »

The phrase "pointing Lab" is currently used by the American Pointing Lab Association for Purebred labs that carry the pointing gene.  I would suggest you call them lab crosses that point to avoid confusion.
Were exactly do you think pointing labs came from? They just didn't all of the sudden
start pointing birds. The pointing gene came from crosses like this over the last few years.
"Purebred" I Think Not

cancan

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »

yes they were crossed (pointing labs) but some of the crosses were made in the late 1700's early 1800's.....how did you get lab pups from a shorthair/ setter cross?

My labs lines go way back pure bred lab, no sign of crossbreeding....he points like a champ and he's pointed since he was 8 weeks old. no training involved.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 12:27:34 AM by cancan » Logged

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »