Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Quail feeder and waterer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail feeder and waterer  (Read 5226 times)
galaxie428

« on: May 03, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »

Hi all,

I am working on building a 4x8x6 recall pen for quail that I will use to train my pointing lab. I have been doing some research on this forum which has been very helpful but I am curious how some of you have your food and water set up. I live in Indiana so in the wintertime I am going to have to deal with the water freezing up. How do you all deal with that?

Also, if you have any pictures of your own feeder and waterer, I would love to see them to get some ideas on what will work best for me.

I would also like some opinions on what type of flooring to use. My thoughts were to just use some kind of mesh wiring so anydroppings just go to the ground. I wonder about a yote or something digging underneath and getting in though. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jason
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »

Hi Jason, my first question is where is your pup from?  Kennel, Sire, Dam.  There a few PL folks on here.  I have a 3 month old CLF from Danny Allen.  Sire is Augies Cactus Jack, Dam is HPK's Mambo NO. 5.

Now for your question:

I'm am also building a Johnny House this spring.  The bottom will be OSB covered in sand.  The feeder will be like a normal pen feeder, except will have a greater reserve on top and access to it from the outside.  The water will be from a reservoir outside to a manfold with the low pressure waterers on the inside.  You can buy the expensive commercial system, but I always think it is more fun to design and build something myself.  I get a kick out of trying to solve the problems.
galaxie428

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:02:25 PM »

Hi gsc,

I bought my pup from Rick Foust up around Kokomo, he and his partner Gary Quinn from RG's Kennel in Montana. This was their first litter of pups. The sire is RG's Birdy Pete and the dam is Scarlett Lori Darlin. My pup, Jovi just turned a year old last week. I have had him on some pen raised birds back around November and he pointed several of them but he just didn't hold them very long. He also pointed his first covey of wild birds and three singles last month but again didn't hold them for more than 10s. I hope to get him holding a little better after I get my quail pen done and get some birds. He has a good nose, I think he will be a good dog.

I am up around the New Castle area, where are you from?

How much do you have in your watering system? Got any pictures? I am looking for something relatively low cost but gets the job done.

Nice talking to you.

Jason
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »

I'm in Alaska.  The ice is off most of the ponds, but the lakes are still covered.  Shouldn't be long now though.  I don't have any pictures right now.  Maybe I'll get some taken and post later.  Here's a look at my little girl.
galaxie428

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:06:19 PM »

I guess I assumed you lived in IN somewhere since you bought a dog from Danny. I have heard of him, he is in Southern IN I think.

Here is a pic of my dog. He was 7 months when this was taken. This was his first time out so I was pretty happy.
PSUQuailer

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »

where are you from?  Great looking pup :laugh:

Ryan S.

galaxie428

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 08:51:07 AM »

I am originally from southern IL but now I live south of New Castle, IN.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:08:19 AM »

galaxie....the Ford ?

428.....CJ ? or just the normal (forget the name) 428 ?

or

nothing to do with Fords & engines ?

:laugh:
galaxie428

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:22:03 PM »

Yes, the car. I have a 1966. The engine was just the standard 428 but it has been modified a little from the original. I bought some aftermarket CJ heads, new intake and Demon carb along with the rebuild. Fun to drive until you have to put petro in it.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »

Yes, the car. I have a 1966. The engine was just the standard 428 but it has been modified a little from the original. I bought some aftermarket CJ heads, new intake and Demon carb along with the rebuild. Fun to drive until you have to put petro in it.

COOL!  I've got a 1970 Ford LTD 2 dr Coupe 390ci that I've owned since 1980. Last time tags were bought was 1985, it's been stored in my garage ever since. Thinking about selling it now. I fire it up now and then and take it for a spin.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »