Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pheasant eating egg yolk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant eating egg yolk  (Read 4029 times)
bgsbirds

« on: April 23, 2007, 11:35:06 PM »

We have a pair of Silver Pheasants and the male keeps eating the egg yolk but not the egg shell , we feed them Purina Gamebird layena , flight condition and cracked corn ,  they also have grit and oyster shells which they're not even eating .Does anyone have any suggestion on how to stop him from eating the egg yolk besides moving him to another pen every few days till she lay. Bill
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 02:49:54 AM by bgsbirds » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:24 AM »

What I do if Pheasants start eating eggs: make the nest boxes so they go in from the top, rather than from the side. Makes it harder for them to see the eggs, or to roll them out.
I also put those plastic chicken eggs in the nest box(s). They can pound on them all day & not break them. They soon learn that eggs are not eatable.

Check at least 4 times a day for real eggs. You need to stop them from eating eggs, or they'll likely be egg eaters for life.

One more thing. I do not put anything in eggs to try & make them unpalatable.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »

Golf balls will work as well... either the golf balls or plastic easter eggs should be pretty easy to find. Good luck getting him to stop.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
bgsbirds

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »

Well we put a couple of plastic eggs in the nest box and the male pheasant went right to them and start pecking at them , the hen's been laying in the evening and doesn,t always lay in the nest box sometimes she'll just lay on the ground , we've  been tryiny to catch her when she lays but the male always beat us to the eggs , hopefully the plastic eggs will work. Thanks for the information. Bill
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

Eat the pheasant that will teach him :laugh:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »

Eat the pheasant that will teach him

Hahaha!  :laugh: True, true. He should get over it after a while of pecking "eggs" that he can't open. Most figure the same it true with the real eggs after a while...

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »

Use a shocker collar on him!   I've taught my dog a thing or two with one of those babies!

j/k

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:13:56 PM »

Use a shocker collar on him!

Quicker than frying them. I can imagine the bird just running around, on fire... lol.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »