Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  HELP!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP!!!!!  (Read 4882 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: September 25, 2006, 08:11:29 PM »

A couple of my ringneck pheasant hens I think are sick. They tilt there heads up in the air and keep opening there mouth like somethings is in there throat. What up and what can I do to fix it. Are they sick at all. I noticed this right after the ate could that have something to do with it.

Thanks,

Chukar Breeder
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:01:46 PM »

It might help to know what you supply your birds (grit etc.) and what you feed them. I have know clue about birds but it kind of sounds like they need grit, but that is just me. Hopefully one of these bird genieses can help you.

Bobwhite quail24
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »

They have sand should they have somthing else? I have not had any problems tell now.

Thanks,

Chukar Breeder
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:45:21 PM »

They are probably fine.  I notice my birds doing that when I put out fresh feed for them.  Their other feeders can be almost full but if you throw in a fresh/full feeder they act like they have to eat it all before another bird does.  Regarding their appearance of choking on something, that's about exactly what is happening.  Stops as soon as they pull away and get a drink and slow down.

David
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:48:05 AM »

The chickens that I used to have would do that after eating too much, too fast.

Especially when they were thrown a toad, they'd do all kinds of goofy stunts trying to get that thing down whole, but they eventually would...just like a snake! I was always surprised that it didn't kill them.

They are probably fine.  I notice my birds doing that when I put out fresh feed for them.  Their other feeders can be almost full but if you throw in a fresh/full feeder they act like they have to eat it all before another bird does.  Regarding their appearance of choking on something, that's about exactly what is happening.  Stops as soon as they pull away and get a drink and slow down.

David

Reminds me of a guy I work with.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:35:59 AM »

They have sand should they have somthing else?

Yes. they need more than sand. I had #1 & #2 granite grit in my pen & they didn't seem to like it. I now supply a good ammount of 1/4" minus gravel & they pick the size out they want/need.

As for the other problme, it sounds like Gapeworm:

Gapeworm and roundworms
    Gapeworm is the perfect problem to start with as self diagnosis is comparatively simple. Syngamus trachea, as it's scientific name implies, is a nasty little creature which lodges in the throat or trachea of the Pheasant. This causes irritation to the bird resulting in a Pheasant form of "coughing" which is a "snicking" sound. An affected bird will open it's beak wide and shake it's head in an effort to dislodge the parasite.

Call your vet & get the meds to treat for round worms. Others here can give advice on what is available in the States. (I prefer the water soluble types)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:38:49 PM by Reeves » Logged
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »

Thanks guys I have not notice them doing it anymore.

Chukar Breeder
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 10:10:20 PM »

Worm them anyway. Each fall & spring, before laying season.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:30:31 PM »

Do these birds have food at all times?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »