Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  any one sell xld1's eggs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any one sell xld1's eggs  (Read 10344 times)
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 01:11:36 PM »

14yrold,  these are the biggest coturnix around. I talk to cbfsuperquail almost daily frank's been helping me get my birds started they are out of town until the 20th so people don't worry they're not ignoring ya'll there just on vac. If you have any ?'s frank or cinda will be glad to help you. their eggs will barely fit in the 124 eggs trays. GOD BLESS all thanks Tommy
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »

thats what I told him but he seems to be listening to someone else who would rather sell him thier eggs than give him good info.

mike
woodenegg
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 03:31:47 PM »

The problem we have is that there are several different varieties being sold as xld1's.  My searches have turned up generally xld1's are the 10 oz birds.  I would suggest we forget the labels and talk size.  It would cut the misunderstandings.  If the eggs give you the 16 oz birds, buy them regardless of what they are called.
tanaro2
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 04:10:19 PM »

When I bought my eggs I choose the Jumbo Brown over the XLD1.  According to the place where I got my eggs, the Jumbo Browns were listed as being almost twice as large as the XLD1.  They actually have a  picture of a Jumbo Brown standing next to a full grown XLD1 and the difference is huge.   I agree with WOODENEGG when he says that some places may have the XLD1 as the 16 oz bird and the Jumbo as the 10 oz.  But most places I have searched showed the Jumbo being the largest.  I guess it just depends on what the seller is calling that strain of bird.  My birds are the Jumbo Browns and they are just turning 5 weeks old and weigh 10.5 oz already.  I have 60 females and just today I pulled out 18 eggs.  I wasn't expecting that to happen for atleast another week or so.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 05:40:52 PM »

woody is correct. There are too many breeders selling thier eggs as xld1 in an attempt to tell more. There are also alot of breeders who call thier 16oz birds different things. If I look on ebay I will find at least 5 diffent sellers selling the same birds calling them 5 different things. For example there are xld1, florida giant, georgia giant, jumbo brown, super jumbo brown. The list is never ending. I am looking for the big 16oz birds also. I will only buy them from a seller who is reputable and willing to sell the eggs for 16oz birds.

mike
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 09:23:07 PM »

Check out this auction for eggs. This guy says they dress out at a pound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100XLD-JUMBO-Quail-Hatching-Eggs-Florida-GIANTS_W0QQitemZ7628354200QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46532QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 09:41:49 PM »

Any one know what the LD stands for?

Im still uncertain but from my search I can only conclude it means Light and Day. A lighting method used in experiments. Probably for size and egg production. Only a bit larger then the normal browns though.

From what I'm used to, the Jumbo Browns are just a bit bigger then the normal browns as well. So jumbo browns and LD's are probably not to much different in size.(prolly one in the same) The "X" prolly just means a bigger strain. And yes some pple may just use the word "Jumbo" literally as in being "Huge." So we're back to square one. lol
woodenegg
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »

Check out this auction for eggs. This guy says they dress out at a pound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100XLD-JUMBO-Quail-Hatching-Eggs-Florida-GIANTS_W0QQitemZ7628354200QQihZ017QQcategoryZ46532QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mike

For the record, I have bought several auctions for this seller.  The eggs are well packed and I have experienced up to 85% hatch.  The resulting birds have ranged in size from 10 oz to 16 oz.  Probably a normal size distribution.  He's always treated me fairly and I have been happy with what he is doing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:17:11 PM by woodenegg » Logged
woodenegg
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 10:13:57 PM »

When I bought my eggs I choose the Jumbo Brown over the XLD1.  According to the place where I got my eggs, the Jumbo Browns were listed as being almost twice as large as the XLD1.  They actually have a  picture of a Jumbo Brown standing next to a full grown XLD1 and the difference is huge.   I agree with WOODENEGG when he says that some places may have the XLD1 as the 16 oz bird and the Jumbo as the 10 oz.  But most places I have searched showed the Jumbo being the largest.  I guess it just depends on what the seller is calling that strain of bird.  My birds are the Jumbo Browns and they are just turning 5 weeks old and weigh 10.5 oz already.  I have 60 females and just today I pulled out 18 eggs.  I wasn't expecting that to happen for atleast another week or so.

It's been my experience with these strains, that they lay young, as young as 37 days.  I have got some strange early eggs though.   They've had no shell, or been double yolkers, almost the size of a bantam egg.  As they mature, they will start laying normal eggs and have been very consistant and easy to care for.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:17:52 PM by woodenegg » Logged
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

i was not saying anything bad about the seller, I was trying to show that you can buy big birds under almost any name. not just xld or xld1.

mike
woodenegg
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 02:15:49 AM »

No criticism was intended, just passing on my experience with this seller.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 03:57:32 AM »

I have purchased from him as well. That's where I got my preseason Giant Bob eggs. It was nicely packaged. On another purchase of 120 mixed Jumbo browns and A&M eggs, although the eggs were neatly wrapped, the box that it came in was way tooo small. When the package arrived, I could already see the egg yolk etc. soaked and dried onto the box. I believe there were around 20+ broken. I got a good price for them so I didn't complain much plus I was only going to set a few and eat the rest. But yes, nice eggs and fertility even from Florida to West Coast.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 08:40:36 AM »

I am actually planning on buying from him after my bator becomes free later this month. I still have 100 button quail eggs in the turner and they are not scheduled for the hatcher until  june 21st.

mike
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »