Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 09:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Poor man brooder?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poor man brooder?  (Read 6461 times)
JohnInDixon
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »

How about this easy "Brooder"?  A 4' plastic swimming pool makes room for many chicks. I had to add the ckicken wire roof to it after a week...  Rascals kept making a run for the sides.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »

Nice and roomy. :laugh:

For those like me with a small house and yard, here is my weather proof brooder that I keep out back.

It's just a big tupperware/rubbermade type container. Pictures are self explainatory. Depending on location, you may need a strong wat bulb etc. I have a little fencing on the side for air circulation but can probably do without it for maximum heat containment. May need a few holes at the side top for air though.

La.bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »

i just finished making  one.

i found it at  www.rockingtranch.com/

i always follow up on a link i post and it seems the link on the page is common for the whole site.

its a good cheap brooder. if you want to find it, click the above link. next click the logo, scroll down and look for the "tour the farm photo pages" (third row of links,left end. scroll down, click "our hatchery" (right side 5th row) your there.

i just started with the single version mentioned in the end

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:00:27 PM by La.bowhunter » Logged
ncffp163
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »

La.

I just made 2 of them!! lol

Eric
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:31:29 PM »

well that's pretty much what I have in my room. A tupperware with a table lamp. I brood freshly hatched chicks in it for the first 2 weeks or so then move them outside to my outside brooder.
tanaro2
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 02:44:59 PM »

How many Quail Chicks can you get in the tupperware brooder and for how long can they remain in there comfortably??
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 05:45:53 PM »

which one? And just depends on size since there are various sizes one can purchase. My outside brooder is around 2x3 feet or something. I have kept around 15 or so of the bigger coturnix, XLD's etc in it till they are around 4 weeks comfortably till I can move them to a pen.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:04:41 AM »

How about this easy "Brooder"?  A 4' plastic swimming pool makes room for many chicks. I had to add the ckicken wire roof to it after a week...  Rascals kept making a run for the sides.

John,

I have been using round swimming pools for years! I keep my chicks in the pools for one week, then put them out into the barn brooder which is 6 feet wide by 16 long  by 7 foot high, which I have 2 of.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »