Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  COMMERCIAL SHOOTING PRESERVE IN WV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: COMMERCIAL SHOOTING PRESERVE IN WV  (Read 5495 times)
birdman
« on: January 01, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »

I WOULD LIKE TO OPEN UP A SHOOTING PRESERVE.I KNOW YOU NEED 300 ACRES HERE IN THE STATE OF WV. WHAT I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THERE IS A SHOOTING PRESERVE LICENSE AND THEN THERE IS A OUTFITTER/GUIDE LICENSE.WOULD I NEED BOTH FOR A SHOOTING PRESERVE.OR JUST THE COMM. SHOOTING PRESERVE LICENSE.WHEN I CALL DOWN TO CHARLESTON MAIN OFFICE,THEY SEEM ALL CONFUSED AND NEVERR GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER.CAN ANYBODY HELP HERE.THANKS
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 05:45:53 AM »

I WOULD LIKE TO OPEN UP A SHOOTING PRESERVE.I KNOW YOU NEED 300 ACRES HERE IN THE STATE OF WV. WHAT I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THERE IS A SHOOTING PRESERVE LICENSE AND THEN THERE IS A OUTFITTER/GUIDE LICENSE.WOULD I NEED BOTH FOR A SHOOTING PRESERVE.OR JUST THE COMM. SHOOTING PRESERVE LICENSE.WHEN I CALL DOWN TO CHARLESTON MAIN OFFICE,THEY SEEM ALL CONFUSED AND NEVERR GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER.CAN ANYBODY HELP HERE.THANKS

birdman,

go to this link: http://www.wvsos.com/csrdocs/worddocs/58-64.doc

Scroll down to page 14. Even though there has been a updated version, not that much has change.

7.9.  Commercial Shooting Preserve License has been changed to 7.10.

If you read through all this information pertaining the shooting preserve, and then go to the guide and outfitters section, you will then know what the difference is between shooting preserve license and a guide license.

Also with the shooting preserve, you can not hold birds in a pen for more then 30 days, otherwise you will need a game farm license as well. Pen size for the shooting preserve is 20sqft per bird know matter what species of wild game birds.

Hope this helps!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 09:40:41 AM »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info...I have my game farm permit to raise birds,I do not raise many at all just some quail for me dogs to train on...I understand that the two license are different I guess my main question is if I open my preserve and then someone wants to use my dogs would that make me in the class as a outfitter? Then I would have to go with the big security bond and allot more paper work...I fou find out anything let me know....Thanks..I will be lookinf into it more too....
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:54:50 AM »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info...I have my game farm permit to raise birds,I do not raise many at all just some quail for me dogs to train on...I understand that the two license are different I guess my main question is if I open my preserve and then someone wants to use my dogs would that make me in the class as a outfitter? Then I would have to go with the big security bond and allot more paper work...I fou find out anything let me know....Thanks..I will be lookinf into it more too....

Under the commercial shooting preserve, your dogs and handlers are covered under this. You still need the liability insurance and business license.

The business license that covers you as a commercial game farm does not cover you under the shooting preserve as this business license is under Agriculture. There is no sales tax collected as a commercial game farm when you sell your birds.

Running a shooting preserve you have to collect sales tax, record the hunters hunting license # and the quarry taken.

Outfitters and Guides are an independent operation.

Good luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »

Steve,
Thanks for the info.......I have tried many times to call the local DNR and their main Office in Charleston...None of them seem to know the answer..Anyways thanks again for the info...
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 12:47:08 PM »

Where are you located?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdman
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:50:18 PM »

Hello,
I am located on 19 like you are going to Summersville....Have a few different places i was thinking about the preserve...Thanks again...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »