Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:40:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sexing Japanese Quail: Do both the Male & Female Crow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sexing Japanese Quail: Do both the Male & Female Crow?  (Read 6650 times)
QuailLover22
« on: October 26, 2004, 12:39:37 AM »

I just bought two Japanese Quail as pets & for eggs. The seller said he gave me a male and female, but I am having a hard time telling the difference!

They are between 4 and 8 months old, and one is the typical coloring, and one is lighter, almost a blonde color but with a normal colored back.

They both "crow" (I think, although its not very loud at all!) as males should, but they also both make "cricket" noises, as females should.

Are both males and females capable of making both noises?

Also, these are my first birds. I realize the "vent" is the genital area, but am having a hard time finding it to sex them through their feathers - they are squirmy quails!
casnyder
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 07:43:16 PM »

The female is a decent bit heavier than the male.  After they start laying eggs, the female's cloaca tends to be easier to find than the males.
QuailLover22
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 12:14:38 AM »

What is the best way to check the "vent" and what should I be looking for? Neither has produced anything "white"...could I be doing something wrong?

Also...

Juggernaut is quite bigger than Bijou and is traditionally colored with the traditional dark speckled feathers all over its body and going around the chest/neck.

Bijou (the smaller one) is quite blonde and has the traditional speckling on its back. the speckling lightens on the sides of the bird and also goes all the way around the chest; it is cinnamon colored, but could this be because it is blonde and not a male?

Like I said before, they both make these quiet noises and sometimes call to eachother (no louder than a person's speaking voice) from across the room.

I just have these two quails and I really want to hatch a baby as well as have fertile eggs for my pet reptiles...any opinions on the genders of my quails are appreciated!
quailfriend

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:32:27 PM »

Lift up the tail feathers untill you can see the anus. above it there should be a gland that looks swollen sqeez it, if white foam comes out its a male. The males also have a rusty colored chest while the females have lighter feathers.

12 ga. shotgun shells $5.00
candybar                   $.75
13 gallons gasoline    $26.31 (ouch)
taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dog---------priceless

remember a bad day hunting is better than a good day working.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »