Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Egg Turning
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg Turning  (Read 3876 times)
carrotcritters4h

Valley, Mexican Speckled, Bobwhite and Chukar

« on: December 10, 2005, 02:30:24 PM »

I have a question about egg turning. I have heard that you should put the eggs in an automatic egg turner while they are in the incubator but 3 days before they hatch stop turning them...Do you stop turning them for a reason? or is it just so that the chicks do not get stuck in the turner when it moves. Thanks

-Carrot

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
SUPERPADOODLE
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »

You stop turning them so the chicks can position themselves to hatch .The eggs will actually rock as they are doing it ..Good Luck
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 07:15:08 PM »

So i could actually just turn off the turner and not take the eggs out of it but leave them in the turner...

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
rushcreek

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 12:30:16 PM »

No, you will need to take the eggs out of the turner 3 days before the hatch date so that they will lay on their sides with the small end of the eggs lower.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
koboa

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »

make sure take eggs out of turner cause the needs to positon right or it wont hatch right. 

JK III
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 01:41:46 PM »

Ok, that makes sense...also what is the suggested temp and humitity levels for an still air incubator for valley quail eggs? Thanks again

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »

101 degrees humidty50-55% bump up to 60 65% last 3 days
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 06:44:59 PM »

Ok thanks...

MAX
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »

Hi Carrot
 I started out with a still air incubator and no turner..I since have added a fan and turner. I don't know how the old timers hatched large numbers of eggs turning them by hand... Alot of time and work while the incubator is cooling off at the same time.. the turner will save you lots of time and work plus its a lot more gentle than by hand.. My fan has helped so much on keeping the temp steady and no more big spikes jumping the temp up or dropping like before.. I only remove the lid one time during the hatch cycle and thats the day i remove them from the turner to lay them on the screen... i add my water through the vent hole on the lid with a large cow hpyo needle and a rubber hose on the end to keep from having to remove the lid and lose  the heat and humidity... Here in Pa the weather is very cold and not much humidity in the air rite now so we have been having to add alot of water to our incubator and come this rainy spring maybe no water at all... OK best of luck with your hatch
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 06:22:39 PM »

Hey thanks MAX. yeah i have been looking into those fans...but atleast i have the turner....great ideas about getting the water in through the vent holes that will help my hatch rate sooooo much thanks again

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »