Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Game Farm
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game Farm  (Read 9219 times)
Redhorse
« on: April 20, 2004, 03:35:29 PM »

:( Where'd it all go? Have to start over.

Still looking for a piece of property. 8)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 01:10:04 PM »

Might have found a piece of property. Not big enough for a game preserve, but it has a nice pole building on 10 acres with a small pasture, surrounded by woods. Should work for a Designated Dog Training Field, and nice place to put up some pens! Trying to decide if we want to take the plunge.

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 04:33:38 AM »

Red Horse,

Where'd it all go? Have to start over.

I have notice that a lot of old and new topics and recent post has vanished.

Since I don't remember the original topic thread, refresh my mind. Where are you located? What other information about the property do you have, like price, taxes?

If you are young enough and the price is right, and can eventually build a house on it grab it. They just don't make real estate anymore.

I lived in NY and move to WV in 2000. I bought an old forclosure. It was at one time a zoo. It has 15 acres and 4 ponds. It took me 4 years and continuing to this day to make what I have now.

Five years ago I offered $79,000.00 for the property. It is now worth over $175,000.00 with the improvements, and the way the price of land has risen.

Raw land back in 2000 was around $500-600 an acre. The same type of land now goes for better then $1000.00 an acre.

Good luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »

This property already has a modular home with a full walkout basement on it. I would be renting the house to one of my cousins. He and his family would be helping out with the bird farming, and also with my beekeeping.

Since I stay at home with the kids (house dad) It's a tough decision to finance a second property...on the other hand...being the domestic engineer I am, gives me the time to make a business out of this venture and hopefully begin generating an income from it.

My wife has a very good job...but if my cousin loses his and suddenly can't make payments it would cause a major problem.

Not likely to happen. But have to look at all angles.

Will I be able to build enough of a business to cover any unexpected loss of income before said loss occurs?

Birds have been a hobby for the past 2 years. Bees started out that way about 6 yrs ago, but last year I harvested over 800 lbs of honey and 100 lbs of beeswax. Split my hives this year which should increase my harvest for next year. Plan on going into serious honey production over the next 3 years. Therefore I need a place to permenantly set up an extraction facility...hence the property with the pole barn.

Birds will be another way to generate income off the same property. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket...(sorry pun intended).

A small facility where local guys can come and train their bird dogs. I would plan on setting up multiple Johnny Houses around the property for point and flush training. Plus having birds for sale to use in shoot to retrieve training.

Property is located around 50 min from the outer belt of Columbus Oh, about 15-20 min from Zanesville (haven't driven that route yet).

Propety taxes are relatively low in this particular county.

Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 04:21:14 PM »

Don't think I'm gonna take the plunge this time. Maybe some time in the future with a different property.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 06:54:04 AM »

What changed your mind? The property sounded like the perfect set up.

The pole barn for the beehive honey extraction, and the birds adding extra income along with the dog training.

Why not sell the house your living in and move into that one?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 08:26:34 AM »

It's hard to move into a house that isn't any bigger than the one your living in when there is a baby on the way (due Oct 27th). Plus the house we are in now is only 9 miles of highway from my wifes office, as opposed to around 35 miles of back roads from the other place.

Now the 39 acres with HUGE pole barn, small house and a pond is back up for sale behind my current residence. They just want an unreasonable amount for it. We couldn't move into the house because it's to small so we would have to rent it. But, it's right next door to my house and would certainly fit the bill for what I want to do. I am friends with the people who own it so maybe I can work out a deal.

poultryman90

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 03:06:06 PM »

Hey, is the 10 acres still for sale? We were considering coming back up to the midwest... just a thought

Ethan King-

King's Poultry & Gamebirds

Ethan_King@hotmail.com
910 875 5077
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:06:26 PM »

The last time I was over there it was. I'll be driving over that way this Saturday for opening day of bow season. I'll try and remember to check on that for Ya!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »