Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  dead quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dead quail  (Read 6141 times)
kingwolf
Expert Member

« on: March 18, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »

My game bird pens are just outside my chicken coop and one morning i went out and fed all my game birds and they all seemed to be great so i went inside my coop to feed my chickens and when i came out about five minutes later one of my five bobwhites was dead!? Does anybody know what could of happened? It kind of looked like he might of been spooked by maybe one of my dogs and flew into the wire and killed himself. And i have no idea what the age of the bird was i adopted him, and some others from a friend who had passed away. Any help would be appreciated... thanks for your time

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:22 PM »

From what you have told us, I would say one of two things.

Fright, if you have a dog around the pen, and the birds are flighty.

Second is disease, quite likely from being next to chickens.
Chickens can carry disease that will do no harm to them, but will kill Quail and Pheasants.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »

if they are at least ten feet away will they still pick up the diseases from chickens?

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »

Disease can be spread by walking from one pen to the next.

Some diseases can be air born.
jimmeek

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »

"if they are at least ten feet away will they still pick up the diseases from chickens?"

Commercial chicken brokers require a minimum of 100 feet from any animals, and no other birds on the property.  Probably would go for uail raising, too. "uail", "quail", either one.  w1 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:52:56 PM by jimmeek » Logged
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »

well its probably a good thing that the new pens I'm building are at least 100 feet away now. s020

DarrenS

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »

Yea, Reeves has a good point, a long time ago I used to have my chicken and quail pens near each other. I was having infection problems in my quail. When you walk in the chicken pens you pick up bacteria and such on your shoes that can be tracked right into the quail pens. The vet that helped me told me quail dont have resistance to some of the bacteria, virus, etc that don't bother the chickens. The chickens are healthy but can be carriers of the bacteria and viruses that the quail are not resistant to.
Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »

I wouldn't have chickens around our gamebirds. Kingwolf, what breeds of chickens do you have?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »