Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  new chicks can't walk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new chicks can't walk  (Read 3185 times)
chickenmom
« on: June 17, 2007, 07:48:23 AM »

My son had about 12 bobwhite quail hatch. About half seem fine the other half can't walk. This is right after hatching. Could it be related to a vitamin deficiency in the parents? Any suggestions on what to do for the chicks? Would giving them a supplement help?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:50:32 AM »

Whole host of reasons are possible.

Many people will give a water soluble vitamin for the first 2-7 days after hatching.

If they are not "normal" in a couple days, you'll have to learn to cull. It's part n' parcel of raising birds.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:26:49 PM »

I agree.

Half is really a high ratio. Could have been heat too high during incubation, etc. If their little feets aren't totally abnormal, I have had success massaging their little legs and feet to get the blood circulating.

Right after hatching, they usually can't walk yet. It'll take a few good minutes before they're strong enough to walk. So just making sure you are not jumping the gun.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »

Are they straddle leg? toes curled  ?
SuzyQ
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 01:00:33 AM »

Out of 30 eggs, 18 hatched...the 18th one a "special needs" chick.  Couldnt hold his head up or stand,  just rolling around like a marble.  When, after 3 days and "nature didnt take her course", we began to hand feed him... we even made him a tiny neck brace from a foam sheet.  I understand the natures way, but that tiny little damaged speck of life suprised me with such a will to live like no other.  He's 2 weeks old today, he can stand and walk now and hes learning to eat from a feeder all by himself.  How long will he last, who knows, but I'm willing to take the time.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:01:40 AM »

You will not want to use it for a breeder if it lives. Weak ones shouldn't be used to produce more weak ones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »