Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Cracked Egg...Continue to incubate or discard?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracked Egg...Continue to incubate or discard?  (Read 3730 times)
atsioukl
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum.  I recently bought a mini incubator (GQF I think) and am in the process of incubating 9 courtineaux quail eggs.  I've been caring for the eggs as required (i.e. turning 3 to 4 times daily, etc).  Yesterday unfortunately, while turning them, I accidentally dropped one of the eggs on the wire rack and noticed that it now has a small ding on it.  The egg was not punctured so nothing leaked out.  My question is this - s there a chance that the embryo will still develop and should I allow the egg to continue to incubate or should I discard it? 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Anthony
PSUQuailer

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »

How long have they been in the incubator?

Ryan S.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

Cracked egg, toss it
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:30:35 PM »

Yea how long have they been incubating? If a week or so, try candleing and seeing if it's worth saving first of all.

yea usually just discard it. if you want to try salvaging it, since you don't have many, you can cover the crack with glue. I use wood glue or elmer's white glue.
atsioukl
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »

Thanks for the replys!

The eggs have been in the incubator for 4 days now.  I feel guilty tossing it but I guess that's what will have to be done. :(

Anthony
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »

As I mentioned, you can try to put some glue over the crack.

I have several bobwhite eggs that have cracks from shipping and used wood glue on the cracks. So far, most have developed and are doing fine.
jbobs
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »

I don't take a chance with cracked eggs anymore.I had one chicken egg with a hairline crack in it that I didn't see, and it EXPLODED in my incubator! LOL SOme bacteria must have gotten inside it and started growing. The stench of it filled the whole house and we couldn't clean out the incubator until the eggs were done hatching (there was rotten egg goop all over the walls and ceiling of it! XD)

If you just dinged the egg yourself,I don't see why glue shouldn't work,or even a drop or two of candle wax. I've dropped eggs before,man I hate that!
wvgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:55:11 AM »

Throw it out! I have had cracked eggs that I have not noticed until they have exploded or stunk up the house. Nothing stinks any worse than a rotten egg in a warm, humid  incubator.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »