Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Fertility rates
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fertility rates  (Read 2706 times)
tbullis911
« on: November 08, 2006, 05:32:59 PM »

If someone can help me out.  I recently bought my first small batch of eggs.   
25 Bobwhite Quail and 25 Chukar.   Received them with 2 extra of each.

Upon checking fertility after 7 days, I found 13 infertile quail and 8 infertile chukar.   What is the normal rate for fertility.  Should I be concerned about the Supplier or is this pretty normal. 

Thanks for everyones help.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:42:37 AM »

If you are buying eggs and they are shipped you are doing good with only 21 infertile eggs when you buy make sure you buy from a reputable seller you have no way of knowing what you are getting (old eggs ,infertile etc ,bye the way this is one of my biggest pet peeves if I buy something I expect to get what I paid for  not half or less)
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:46:34 PM »

With out a microscope and some specialized scientific training, it is not possible to know if the eggs were fertile or infertile.  What really matters though is do I get some baby chicks or not.  It is generally the experience of most that on average you will get 30 to 50 percent hatch from shipped eggs.  I have had eggs that hatched 90% and those that gave me zero.  It may or may not be the suppliers fault and that can be a difficult and often unproductive discussion as there are just too many variables.

My experience with bob whites has been 60-80% with shipped eggs, but I have only dealt with 2 suppliers.  My experience with chukar has been more in the 30% range with shipped eggs so you are doing better than I have. :laugh:  I live in Alaska so they all have to come a long way.  Mallard eggs have shipped well here, but pheasant just are not worth shipping in here.  I buy day old chicks and save the frustration, that and hatch what few local eggs I can find.

It is always best if you can buy from a local source where you control the transportation and conditions and with whom you are familiar.  Baring that it is a bit of trial and error.  If you buy two or three batches from a supplier and they have a poor hatch rate and you have good luck with another, the choice is obvious.  Usually there are people who buy from a supplier who have good experiences and those who buy and don't do so well, but they do well with another.

That being said, I think it is a miracle when I get any of them to hatch after considering what all they have been through and the many variables and mistakes I make in the process.  Good luck and enjoy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »