Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Fixer-upper for CharlieHorse
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fixer-upper for CharlieHorse  (Read 17641 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: September 22, 2007, 10:08:49 PM »

Knowing how he likes to fix up old stuff, I went on a quest looking for the perfect Canadian get away for him. I drove over hill and dale, day and night for weeks at a time.
I think I may have found just the place. No neighbors for miles and miles. There are lakes in the area for Pike, Perch & Walleye.
The house needs a bit of a tweak though. However, most of the things he would need are still in the house. Must be lots of good stuff, as it looks three feet deep inside.

There is a tractor also. I know he likes them, so it was very important that this remote farm have the machinery to deal with the land. After all, the top soil, all of about an inch deep, will need working now and again. However, a few rocks may have to be moved first. But there are only about 20 per sq. yd.

The tractor may need some inventive welding. Maybe some plexy glass so you can keep an eye on the inner workings ?

So there ya go, Charlie ! Home away from home !
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:55:20 AM »

:roll:   Now that is perfect!! The barn might be a little rough to get jacked back up, but the cabin looks easily habitable.  How close is the nearest Lowes?   :laugh:
A new rod cap, bearing, and a little sand paper on the crank and the tractor looks good for another 50 years?  I bet that was one heck of a racket when that baby came apart!  :eek:  I could also cash that tractor in for scrap iron at a high price so I'd have some play money, wouldn't need much to live on since most stuff north of the border is free anyway.
  Now I know where to go when the misses throws me out in the street, won't be any fighting going on this time on my part, unlike the last 2 wives. :eek:  I'd be outta here in a flash, she could have it all, right along with the debt......except for my truck and crate full of Bobs (for food). :wink:  What kind of rights do squatters have in that area?  Maybe I could just show up one day and move in?  I could turn that barn into a huge flight pen and make "Reeves" pens look like a shoebox :???:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »

That looks nice. What is the going price for that an how much property?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »

I have no idea if the place is actually for sale. We are crossing it with a gas pipeline. Also, the place is a lot worse off than it looks. Even the cattle look thin !
There is a farm near it for sale. I'll make a call to see how much land etc & get a price....likely high.
Also, a couple mornings ago, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the U.S. dollar. Bad time for Americans to buy up here. Good time for Canuks to buy down there !
Only trouble is, if it costs a nickle to go around the world, I don't have enough to get out of site !
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:08 AM »

Reeves,

Yea, I know what your are saying about the US$ being worth less then the Canadian $. Maybe, I should exchange my Millions of $$$ into Canadian funds when the time is right.

I have been looking for more land in WV since the housing market has hit an all time low. But the diehards like me just keep the price high. I am just waiting for someone who wants out and then I will offer a lower price in cash. There is still some land around here that I looked at that was $800.00 an ac. Access was the pits though, I would have to re-do a small bridge (R.O.W.) that was washed out at the cost of about $15,000.00 just to get to the property which is at the end very end of a R.O.W. The R.O.W. leading to the bridge is about 1/2 mile which is the pits. Crush and Run stone that is in poor shape. The property was 90% woodland, with a flat on the top of a ridge. Total property was 25 ac.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:28:23 AM »

Beautiful country. Nice cozy cabin there. Perfect place for a haunting. LOL

No need for a tractor....2 mules will do. :laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:04:42 PM »

Steve
Was told the top soil is grade (class?) 3 = poor, in that area. Was also told it likely goes for 700 - 900/acre. I meant to get the number off of a sale sign, but worked late today....
Also, you don't really want land up here. Look into the taxes you would have to pay ! I think we are #2 highest taxed in the world (or is it #1 now ?) I know if I won the lottery, I'd move to the States in a heart beat !

aKirA, who you call'n old mules ?  :laugh:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:26:21 AM »

Steve
Was told the top soil is grade (class?) 3 = poor, in that area. Was also told it likely goes for 700 - 900/acre. I meant to get the number off of a sale sign, but worked late today....
Also, you don't really want land up here. Look into the taxes you would have to pay ! I think we are #2 highest taxed in the world (or is it #1 now ?) I know if I won the lottery, I'd move to the States in a heart beat !

aKirA, who you call'n old mules ?  :laugh:

Reeves,

What do you mean by   top soil is grade (class?) 3 = poor Is it the depth of top soil or the mineral content? I don't have any top soil here on my property, it's all hard clay until it rains then, it is slick mud.

Under the clay I have slate, so even discing my food plots are a royal pain each year. It seems that the more I work on the food plots the more slate come up.

Please explain to me your tax base, since I am not familiar with this. I know here in the U.S. we pay U.S. Federal income Tax, which is the same no matter what state you live in. Then we have a State Income Tax, State Sales tax and within the state, your county taxes IE: personal property tax, real estate property tax.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 06:47:25 AM »

Tax base much the same (plus we have that GST tax on almost everything @ 6.5%)
and all at a much higher rate than you.

I'll see if I can find more info on the soil types/grades.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »

Tax base much the same (plus we have that GST tax on almost everything @ 6.5%)
and all at a much higher rate than you.

I'll see if I can find more info on the soil types/grades.

Our sales tax (state) is 6% on everything including food. Long Island, NY prior to moving to WV was 8.5% on everything except food and water utilities.

How's the gun laws by you. Here in WV I have a CCW which costs $90.00 for 5 years. WV is also a open carry state and no license required.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »

Twice a day I'd drive past an odd "house" , about 300 yds up the road from the first house posted. Curiousity finally got me so I took a picture. Note the high windows, that are too high to look through.

I walked around the building, wondering what it could have been built for. I knew as soon as I saw the east facing side. When you enter the side doors, you are in a walk way that has a pony wall. This is about 5-6 ft. wide. The rest is open. I can see in the original picture the pony wall through the big windows.

So, what purpose do YOU think the building is for ?  :laugh:
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 09:45:26 PM »

workers quaters
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:26:31 PM »

It is a modern replica of Stonehenge? It was used to explore the cosmos, and of course to tell time. When the sunlight lined up with the top window in the roof and shined through the hole in the "pony wall" onto that thingy on the floor it was June 21st. And when the sun shown through the lower window, through the hole and onto the thingy on the floor, it was December 22nd. Same thing applies to March 21st and September 23rd, just different holes where used. The building eventually settled a little bit and threw the whole mess out of wack and the tribe ceased to fund the project, and declared it "evil", therefore it was abandon. Rumor has it that, "Tang" was discovered at this very site. It was well known as the "Triangulum Australe".  :eek:

Most recently used for target practice.

Thought you had me didn't ya,  Reeves?  :grin: :P

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:00:08 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:54:18 PM »

I disagree....I think it was built by gypsies of the devil occult. The high window room is where they kept their sacrifices. :angel:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:23:54 AM »

Was this at one time either a bar or court house, or maybe a school house? The pony wall that you are describing looks more like a counter. The hight doesn't look to be any higher then 3.5-4.0 feet, and looks to be some what radius. Some of the front panels are missing as well.

Could this also have been a diner?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »