Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:19:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sexing Pheasant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sexing Pheasant  (Read 7984 times)
1duckhtr

« on: April 30, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »

I have just begun to raise Ringneck Pheasants. I currently have 13 chicks that just hatched out last week. At what age can you sex them and are the markings distinct? Are the chicks naturally aggressive? They seem to be pecking at each others feet and beaks.

I also had 2 hatch out that are solid black with white around their necks and head. Someone told me that they are Melanistic mutants??? How can they be sexed?

Thanks for any info!

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:35:06 AM »

I have just begun to raise Ringneck Pheasants. I currently have 13 chicks that just hatched out last week. At what age can you sex them and are the markings distinct? Are the chicks naturally aggressive? They seem to be pecking at each others feet and beaks.

I also had 2 hatch out that are solid black with white around their necks and head. Someone told me that they are Melanistic mutants??? How can they be sexed?

Thanks for any info!

1duckhtr,

By 5 weeks you should be able to tell the difference on the Ring-necked Pheasants.

The chicks start to get very aggressive a 6 weeks. Save yourself some aggravation and put peepers on the birds a 5 weeks.

The two that you mentioned that hatched out solid black with white around their necks could be Melanistic, or they could actually be a Melanistic Cock mated with a Ring-necked hen. Only time will tell. If the bird is solid black with a white ring it is a male. Solid brown is a female. This sexing can be used either for the Melanistic "X" or the Melanistic Mutants. I have never had one jump ship on this type of sexing.

As far as the Ring-necks, sexing is hard right after the hatch. The Mel's and crosses can be sexed right after the hatch.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
1duckhtr

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »

Thanks for the information!

I am now down to nine chicks, four of them have died over the past week. Not sure what is going on? No signs of pecking, drowning or temperature changes. They just keep dropping, averaging one every other day?????

Thanks Again!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:08:18 AM »

Thanks for the information!

I am now down to nine chicks, four of them have died over the past week. Not sure what is going on? No signs of pecking, drowning or temperature changes. They just keep dropping, averaging one every other day?????

Thanks Again!

Check to make sure there are no drafts and if you are using heat lamps that they are red. Also add vitamins or sugar to their water.

If the feed you are using is a crumble put it into a blender and make it smaller.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
1duckhtr

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:01:10 AM »

Added the minerals on Tuesday and have not lost anymore birds since Sunday!

Thanks for the info!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »

Glad to help!

Good Luck!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »