Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:16:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51150 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »

Just remembered an old memory....

My Dad bought a property for hunting. Anyway, he decided he needed a good size cabin on it. He loaded up his 3/4 ton Ford with wood. Good thing I went to check the load (Mom asked me to) and sure enough , she knew him well. The front tires were barely touching the ground ! I'm sure that when he let the clutch out, it would have ended up on the back bumper ! And he was going to drive it 3-4 hours (under normal driving conditions) to the property !
So I remove a bunch of wood, so the rubber stoppers have a wee bit of clearance on the axles.
He comes out to see I removed 1/2 the load and is much angry !
We had a number of "events" like that one.
Most times I'd get to check the load. Sometimes not.
He bought a D-8 engine (remember, these were the old, huge engines) and drove home with it.
When he got home he had the audacity to complain about the steering and the 4+ hour drive to get home ! (should only have taken an hour, with a properly loaded truck)
Funny thing is, we had a low bed we could have haule these things with.

I miss that funny old duck....
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:52 PM »

This is what an 18' trailer looks like with 35' pipe on it  :laugh:

I think we need a bigger boat (trailer) ! A very nice booty of pipe!  :laugh: Funny stories, Reeves and TB.

Joseph.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:39 AM »

Boat trailer ?
What are you Yankees using down there to haul your Bass boats ?
That's a "car hauler". I even have ramps for it ! Heck, I even had a real car on it one time !

:laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 12:11:05 AM »

Boat trailer ?
That's a "car hauler". I even have ramps for it ! Heck, I even had a real car on it one time !

:laugh:

I think he was referring to the truck (boat)!          :twisted:   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 08:06:17 AM »

Ya, and that "boat" came from you Yankees. Thought about that the other day, truck from Kentucky, the trailer from Texas. I sure am supporting you folk !
I even work to help you folk heat your home & put fuel in your GMCs !  :laugh:

Start at a new job site this morning. I haven't heard what kind of pipe it is. Hope for steel, but it may be plastic ? Best thing, it is only a couple miles away !
I have to remember to bring the cold cutter home & cut that pipe into 15' sections. I may see if I can get the hoe here when the job is done. I have another idea on what I can do with some pipe....
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »

Boat trailer ?

Have any of you northerners ever seen the movie JAWS ???  :P (quote from the movie)

I even work to help you folk heat your home & put fuel in your GMCs !

My chevrolet thanks you!

I have another idea on what I can do with some pipe....

... too lazy to type it out!?  :laugh:

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »

Me ? Lazy ? Naw, just thinking it out....

Now this should get ya going t-boss ! I counted the pipe on the trailer , into 15' sections. I have 22 there, and 25 in the pole barn.
Now the cool part.....the boss asked me if I wanted the hoe for the long week end, since it is so close to me ! Job is only 2 miles away, as the crow flys !Needless to say I said a big YES!
It will have two buckets (digging and clean up) and also a hoe pack, for driving piles. The 45 pipes/poles leave me 7 short to finish phase one of the fence, six months ahead of time ! I know where I may be able to get my hands on 7 more though...
I also have some pile pipe that I'll use to extend the sides of my shop. This will allow me to park the boat (the real one) on one side and the trailer under the other side. Short 6 though....I'm thinking I can find them  :laugh:

The land I have is fairly flat. So I'm going to see if I can track down a lazer to use, to make the fence line level, corner to corner. (ie: strip the sod about 6-8 feet wide and high spots)
I'm going to strip the barn yard. I know there is junk in there that needs to go. Build a swail in front of the pole barn so water drains away.

I'll be clearing another part of fence line on the north side as well. Next to the creek , for a few hundred feet. This will allow me to fence the Saskatoons in, so the darn Beaver quits cutting them down ! (haven't been able to "catch" all these loggers)

I'm sure by this weekend I'll think of more to do  :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 12:29:49 AM »

Ain't that somethin'?  I'd think that a guy could swing the extra cash for 7 measley posts?

Kinda puts me into thoughts of a fella who had the money to give $1,710,000 for the ranch of his dreams with a $1,710,995 price tag, yet refused to pay the extra $995!

:P

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »

I'd think that a guy could swing the extra cash for 7 measley posts?

Only place to buy two joints (two full length pipe) would cost me $800.00.
THAT isn't going to happen !  :laugh:
I know where some lay on the ground : that farmer that doesn't want to give me any. What I'm going to do, if offer to replace them, as I want to get all this into the ground this weekend, while the hoe is here. Then I will not need the hoe next spring to finish the job.
After I finish a section of the yard chain link fence next spring, and put the game fence up, I'll be ready for new critters by the end of May. I also will need to collect (or buy) the pipe required to tie in all the corners, and to make the gates. But the important thing, the hoe work will be done. At least till my next project starts needing one.
Which will be to dig a pond for the neighbor, so I can re-build my lane way. The farmer that built it made it out of top soil, then put the pit run to it. It will always be mush when wet. I am going to put down filter cloth on top of it, then 2+ feet of clay, then 8-10" of 1.5"- crush. After that gets packed in for a year, top with 4-6" of 3/4 crush. Road will be bomb proof for life.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 07:38:39 PM »

geeez  talk about overkill  you believe in doing things RIGHT dontcha reeves?  lol

Only way to do it !

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »

Well, I miss counted, and memory was faulty. I cut up the pipe on the trailer & there is 24. I have 25 in the pole barn. It will take 50.8 (51) to do phase one of the "Mammuthus primigenius" fence.
Also, I can make up posts by driving in one too short & weld a pup on it, to make up the hight. I have lots from 10' to 3' in length. Better to weld the pup on and drive that short end into the ground....
Now to find a lazer, but I have a plan in case none found.

Phase one pipe done.....only 350 more to finish the place......got the 50+ on three jobs. Looks like I may get it all done in my life time  :laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:55 AM »

But just think of the fun you can have when you're done.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:29:11 AM by aKirA » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 05:08:06 AM »

Reeves,

How come the company doesn't re use the pipe on other job site? What is this, a one time use pipe and then they dump it?

Is the customer paying for the once used pipe and if so, can he take possession of the pipe once the job has been completed.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

Steve - it is common to have some extra full length pipe at each job. But to haul a 60' pipe back to the yard, which may be hours away, then to another job site, would cost more than it is worth. So it is commonly given to a local farmer, or whom ever asks for it. I jump on stuff like this.

Customer is always an oil/gas company. They too will not pay to haul a couple pipes around the country with a highboy/truck.

This year has been slow, and the yard had a bunch of pipe that should have been in the ground. If left in the weather too long, the plastic coating gets damaged : it's meant to be underground. It will also rust inside. At some point, it is too much rust to be used as a gas line (pressure).
Even gas lines in use will rust/corrode from water, and other corrosive agents in the gas. They pig them to clean them (a plug shot through with air) and inspect the line with a smart pig. These can detect any weak spots. When the line gets bad enough, they put a new line in, cut the old one off and cap them underground, and leave them in the ground.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »

Thanks for the input on this. I've gained some knowledge from this.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »