Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51234 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »

ELK!!! Reeves I have wanted to raise elk for a couple years now and I have done quite a bit of research on raising them. We were going to fence in some acreage and get some, but then my dad's company went bankrupt and he had 40% pay cuts, so there is were are elk money went. Anyway good luck!
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2007, 09:43:24 PM »

If i had that kind of land and "fence"(hehe ;))...I'd have me some wild boars and deers. yum yum! Just throwing out ideas for Reeves. :laugh: Or you could just settle for Ostriches. lol :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:45:53 PM by aKirA » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »

No pigs. Of any kind ! Too much damage. No Deer. There are an abundance in the area. No chickens that I have to look up into their eyes ! When I moved here 3 years ago, there was three Ostriches in the local paper for free , and I passed them up.
I had wanted Fallow Deer, but Alberta is the only Province in Canada where you cannot have them (still haven't found out why).
So that leaves Elk. Very good meat ! When the Bull bugles the hair on the back of your neck stands up !
Moose would be cool, but if I remember right, they need a special diet. Not sure I want a Bull Moose in rut anywhere near the place. They are not real smart at that time of year  :laugh:
Maybe just grow grass & turn a bunch of huns loose !
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »

Maybe just grow grass & turn a bunch of huns loose !

Why not cover your yard (a.k.a. "compound") with flight netting and let a dozen or so huns run loose?  :laugh:

j/k (unless you like that idea?) I'd go for the elk, since you can't keep Fallow Deer... they may serve as an unwanted alarm clock during certain times of the year though, but who cares, they're cool!  :laugh: :angel:

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2007, 07:00:33 AM »

Why not cover your yard (a.k.a. "compound") with flight netting

Cannot find enough free netting !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2007, 07:07:42 PM »

What do you think about these ?

http://www.albertareindeer.com/

I know I've eaten the meat. Cannot remember what it was like.
However, they are an "odd" critter.
Big antlers.
Never seen a farm here with them. (or anywhere)

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2007, 05:44:14 PM »

Nearly done one of my "projects". Spent the last 4 days trying to completely do it. I have some trim work to do and a door, on the lean-to.
I may also put chain link on the gate.
All done mostly on my own. I had a fella hold the pipe when I pushed it in, and the wife fetched tools one day & a couple hours on another day.
All the boards attached to the steel pipe were counter sunk, pilot drilled, then drill 5/16" then tap for 3/8" bolts.....75 bolts. All other wood attached with 3" coated deck screws.
Pipe will one day be trimed off & a cap welded on top of each one. 9ga coated wire top & bottom of the chain link. Bull rings to attach to chain link to the wire.
Lots of other small details not mentioned....

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »

Forgot to mention, all this is for the neighbor's Mini horse stud.
Now he owes me, and will have to help me with my fencing !
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2007, 08:32:43 PM »

I was going to say that pen is pretty small for any elk or something else with antlers. It would go against your philosophy of having as big of pen as you can. :laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:12 AM »

against your philosophy of having as big of pen as you can.

That pen is way smaller than what I had wanted to build: nope, can't cut that tree. Nope, have to leave that area open "just in case". etc
They have acres and acres of land, but cut costs at the price of small pens. Hard to break old farmers from old habits.....
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »

Ya I know, when I was interested in raising elk they suggest pens that are 5+ acres atleast and that is just for a few elk.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »

Been a while since I looked at this topic...

Turns out that for Elk, Mule Deer, White Tail Deer, Moose you need a licence/permit for them from Ag dept.

For Reindeer and Fallow Deer you have to go through F&W for some kind of "temp" permit.

For the first mentioned, min. 10 acres. I have yet to find out if the same applies for the second set.
Not sure when I'll call F&W for them to have a look , as I want some grass to grow on a bunch of the work done here first  :angel:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »

Finished another job near home, ended up with enough pipe for 3 more poles. Plus 20' of 8" channel iron. No dea why they would give so much away, but I'm sure I'll come up with a use for it !

Sorry Charlie !

(wasn't there a commercial about that regarding tuna ?)

:laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »

Forgot to mention....neighbor was by today to use my trailer, he mentioned another neighbor asked if I was raising Mule Deer inside the big fence....as there were 14 of them inside the corral area !
He told him no: no fence up yet  :laugh:

Saw 8-9 in the back yard a couple days ago. They are moving around now !
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »

Sorry Charlie !

(wasn't there a commercial about that regarding tuna ?)

:laugh:

:roll:   You're one funny guy!!  :x

I ask a friend the other day, where I could get a part for my 50 year old Ferguson plows, and he said, "Tough S&!t Charlies".   I said, "what?"   He said, "Yeh, Tough S&!t Charlies"! .........finally he said, "Tractor Supply Company", "TSC".   He said anything you need, they never have, so there answer is always............"Tough S&!t Charlie!"    :eek:    Too bad that he's right!

Finished another job near home, ended up with enough pipe for 3 more poles. Plus 20' of 8" channel iron. No dea why they would give so much away, but I'm sure I'll come up with a use for it!

Don't know what scrap steel prices are up there, but down here, nobody would give anything like that away. They're stealing wire and plumbing right out of houses, A/C units, siding off of trailers, etc., etc.  Some autos, farm equipment are worth more for scrap steel than they are for parts or restoration. We're gladly willing to ship it over to those %$%$! Chinese so they can build tanks, guns, aircraft carriers for themselves and their buddies, then the other cheap junk they turn around and sell it back to us, and then we're dumb enough to buy it.   History has it, that the Japs bought up all the steel too, right before they bombed Hawaii.   :???:    :grin:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:43:25 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »