Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51190 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »

Steve - I'll post more on the "patch" if you want. It would help if labcanman could add to it, but he may be away for a bit........he knows more about the patch than I ever will...

Volunteers required....I have yet to find a couple strong backs to help me put up the steel posts & piles. No "real" lifting required. I lift with the hoe, just have to hold in place while I place the hoe pack on top of the posts, then guide me to "pound" into the ground straight. (I want the fence line needle straight).
Going to be long day(s), if doing on my own.....
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »

I will help you with them you just have to pay for the round trip ticket. lol
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 11:22:56 PM »

It'll cost ya a 10' piece of pipe for my help!     If I had the time and the money........mainly the money, I could find the time if need be.    I'd be on my way. I'd need what?.........about 3 weeks?    :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 04:57:15 AM »

Steve - I'll post more on the "patch" if you want. It would help if labcanman could add to it, but he may be away for a bit........he knows more about the patch than I ever will...

Volunteers required....I have yet to find a couple strong backs to help me put up the steel posts & piles. No "real" lifting required. I lift with the hoe, just have to hold in place while I place the hoe pack on top of the posts, then guide me to "pound" into the ground straight. (I want the fence line needle straight).
Going to be long day(s), if doing on my own.....

That would be a nice road trip. I haven't been on any vacation since May of 2000 when I move to WV.

Oh, I know why I haven't had a vacation, there isn't any one around worthy to take care of my birds, whether I pay them or them volunteering. Nobody ever show up.

If ya get a chance, post more on the patch..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 11:18:06 PM »

Sounds like it may be cheaper to buy a slave  :laugh:

Got the machine home, worked it for a few hours already ! Man, can a small hoe ever do a lot of damage in short order  :laugh:

Will be clearing fence line early in the morning. Want to get all set up for pushing posts in as soon as I can, then on to all the other jobs !
I have one helper lined up to hold posts. Would have been nice to have a couple more, as when I'm out of the hoe, it is not working. I'm thinking I'm going to loose at least 3/4 of a day because of this. Main problem is being new to the area & not knowing many people.
Also would have helped to know at lot sooner that I was going to have one here !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »

On one side, there are not enough hours in a day, on the other, too many....tired, got lots done though.

Scared the crap out of my helper several times (wife). No big deal, she is just strung a little tight  :laugh:
I got the corner posts in. I'd set the hoe up, holding a pipe on a sling. Then got her in the hoe to lower it, plus some small (and very slow) movements, with me telling her which controls to move while on the ground holding the pipe.
Going to string line in the morning to mark all the other post placements.
I have a lot more to do, three days will not be enough time to do it all.
No big deal, the hoe will be in the area for another couple weeks, so each time it will sit, I'll have it hauled here  :laugh:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »

On one side, there are not enough hours in a day, on the other, too many....tired, got lots done though.

Scared the crap out of my helper several times (wife). No big deal, she is just strung a little tight  :laugh:
I got the corner posts in. I'd set the hoe up, holding a pipe on a sling. Then got her in the hoe to lower it, plus some small (and very slow) movements, with me telling her which controls to move while on the ground holding the pipe.
Going to string line in the morning to mark all the other post placements.
I have a lot more to do, three days will not be enough time to do it all.
No big deal, the hoe will be in the area for another couple weeks, so each time it will sit, I'll have it hauled here  :laugh:

Soooooooooo where are the pictures of the project?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2007, 06:57:31 AM »

:roll:   This thread is worthless without pictures!    :roll:
                     \
                   correction!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:20:28 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »

This post is worthless without pictures!

You mean yours ?
Or the steel ones ?

I also have about 1/3 of the old corral stripped of sod. Finding old tractor parts, nails & spikes, old shoe, glass, all along the old fence line. Going to be a mountain of the stuff: lots of hauling to do.
I'll take a shot or two when the poles are up....

The old corral posts were in some funny lines, meandering all over the place. Plus it was smaller. I went out to the property pins, so it will now be about 10+ feet more to the south, and 30+ more to the west.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »

Apparently, I count poorly. 9 poles short to finish the field/barn yard. Plus I've decided to make changes to the north side fence. Right now most of that line is chain link. But the poles are too short and too small for big critters to be pushing on.
So when I get more poles(4.5") collected (24ish) I'll remove the chain link fence and put the big steel posts in and replace the 6' chain link with 8'.
The 6' will be used for the back yard fencing project next spring.
I finished stripping the old barn yard. There was tons of bailer twine, busted glass, metal parts & lots of other stuff. I'm sure more will be found when the soil is worked up. I also will need a truck to haul the mountain of sod I now have in the middle of the barn yard !
I'll be moving the stock water tank next time I have the hoe here. It will go into the north end of the pole barn. Where it is now would be a pain to check each day in winter.

I have worked the hoe 12+ hours each day, plus all the other stuff I had to do. Like stake out where the poles go, then haul them to each placement.....will not get all I wanted done this time.
Today (of course it rained most of the night) will be pushing in the poles (40ish) and cleaning roots out of the area I stripped around the north side bush/Saskatoons.
Going to be a long day.....

(I'll take a couple pictures later this week)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:43 AM »

Reeves,

I know what you are going through. I bought this farm back in May of 2000 and I am still cleaning the property and remodeling the house. Since this was an old zoo, there is old split rail fencing around the whole property and what is falling down I am removing. The real pain in the arse is that all the split rail fencing has chicken wire on it also.

The trash guys on Fridays really love me when I stack that garbage up. Most of inside of the barn still has old straw inside the stall and miscellaneous cages. Between working on the house and outside on the 15ac.and cutting grass, there isn't enough time in the day.

It's a good thing I didn't do any hatches this year otherwise, I wouldn't get anything done period. Last week I hauled over 12,000 lbs of slate from my creek with my Polaris Ranger 4x4 to one of my ponds in the back yard to cover up a culvert drain culvert pipe that is an over flow. This is now what I call fun in 90* weather.

I am taking today off and relax since it is a National Holiday for us Americans(Labor Day).

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Have a nice day!

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »

This thread is worthless without pictures!   
                     \
                   correction!

I promise in the next couple days.....my legs do not want to work right now, from getting in & out of the hoe three million times today.

However, all went rather well. You look down the row & all you can see is the first pole: all very straight. I didn't have to use the hoe-pack, they pushed in OK, except 4-5 that I had to pound in (rock maybe). All in the ground 5.5 ft. or more, 9.5 above.

Had time to beedle down the road to the neighbors & push in 12+ 3" poles for their Mini horse corral I'm building for them.

Too many projects on the go, and winter is on the way !

The trash guys on Fridays really love me when I stack that garbage up.

Gotta love the country ! I dug a pit & put everything that will burn in it. I also put lots of stuff that will not. At some point of fullness, I'll cover it & dig another !  :laugh:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:49 PM »

I finished stripping the old barn yard. There was tons of bailer twine, busted glass, metal parts & lots of other stuff. I'm sure more will be found when the soil is worked up.

:laugh: My dad told me when he started messing around with our land, prepping it for the house, running septic tank lines, etc., he had a similar experience. Anyway, my grandpa owned all the land (and still owns a lot of land all around our 5 acres) and has owned it since the 1950's. Well, the family plumbing/heating & air business, my grandpa used to own as well. Sometime back in the late 60's/early 70's, he had a bunch of excess water heaters and dishwashers that he didn't have anywhere to put, so he dug a big pit and buried them on the land we now own. I think dad said there was a total of 13 water heaters/dishwashers that they dug back up about 17 years ago!  :laugh:

There is a noticeable hump there, which I guess I should be thankful for as that is one of only a few spots where I have never seen water pool up when it rains 3+ inches in one day (all spots where my pens are don't "pool up" that bad whenever it rains just an inch or so), but, thanks to grandpa, that hump is where a couple of pens --the covered ones with corrugated steel all over them, for those that may have seen pictures of them before-- are sitting today !  :laugh: I actually found a few miscellaneous water heater parts (thin sheet metal, a couple heating coils) when I was "prepping" that location...

Gotta love the country ! I dug a pit & put everything that will burn in it. I also put lots of stuff that will not. At some point of fullness, I'll cover it & dig another !

Have fun burrying goodies for your descendants to find, Reeves! :P

Joseph.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:56:57 PM by jk » Logged

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »

As per t-boss's DEMANDS, I spent hours taking pictures, edit them. Then Photo Bucket, edit to forum size (so if they do not show well, blame him  :laugh:) I'm only posting 4 now....

In this first picture , I took the picture on the way to work this morning, from the road, creek is in the foreground, just out of the picture. You are looking (sort of) N.E. at the south side of my place. Monster pile of sod to haul away!

This next one is looking (sort of) north, along the west side of the place. I kept some small Poplars inside the barn yard. I still have some dirt work to do before seeding....

This next one you are sort of looking north. The chain link will be torn down, then the big steel posts put in, then replace the 6' chain link with 8', plus another 3' under ground. Truck is parked in the 20' 6" gate area. All gate and corners are heavey wall pipe. I'll be welding in braces in this shape (/)  to about 2' from the top on the corner post, to one foot above ground on the brace post.

This next one is looking west, along the south end of property. You can see the stock tank, but it will be moved into the west end of the pole barn at a later date. Want it closer to check on in the winter months, plus protect from the sun during summer.
And yes, I trespassed out of my place ! Had to clean it up, as it will be purchased at a later date. Plus we get along ! Lots of dirt work to do yet....going to get a lazer & re-shape the whole area....

All poles are 5'6" minimum in the ground. Some poles were longer, but no need to trim down, so a few ended up about 8' in the ground, but only corner posts.
All are 9'6" above ground.
I know I was 9 short on my original plans, but with re-building the chain link, I'm about 20 short to finish it. Plus I have to get the gate built and powder coated.
Each corner has 3 heavey wall grey plastic coat. This will stay. The yellow jacket and all posts but ends/corners will be stripped and be just tar coated (which is what is under the plastic jacket on all the pipes).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:14:45 PM by Reeves » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »

Reeves,

Must be nice to be able to work on flat land. The Job looks good!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »