Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  poisens in Potting Soil???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: poisens in Potting Soil???  (Read 3815 times)
MochaChai
« on: August 09, 2004, 12:27:15 AM »

We just put our 4 courterinx quail in dirt for the first time, we thought they were ready because they almost have all feathers, and they're trying to take dirt-baths on their papers. So, we filled up a cardboard box with potting soil and put them in for an hour or so. 2 of them took dirt baths. They all ate ALOT of the potting soil. Tonight, it seems like they're kindof off balance a little, and they hold their heads crooked. I'm sure this is a problem, and i suspect the dirt. We used potting soil because we thought it'd be cleaner than outdoor soil that might have wild bird diseases in it. Is potting soil safe? What kind of soil do i use? thanks
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 09:16:52 AM »

I am no expert on soil but I do know that potting soil has ferterlizer and other stuff in it.  :shock:  e also give the caged birds baths which they love  :lol:  but we use a regular kitty litter pan I mix half sand (from the creek) and half soil just from the yard, I watch were the wild birds bathe and I take the soil from there. They love bath time and it is  the one time they all get along. It has become so popular that I have to put two kitty litter trays in the cages so they all can get a chance to waller in the dirt.

I would have never thought of using potting soil; one the expense and; two because I don't know exactly what is in potting soil. I use it for my plants but that is it.

I would take the birds to the vet and see if you have one in your area that handles birds we do not.

I realize this is no help, but keep me posted on how your birds are doing.  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
MochaChai
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 11:50:14 AM »

you aren't worried about your birds catching wild bird diseases from that dirt? That's why i usesd potting soil. I'll try using dirt from where our chickens bath under the bushes. The other 3 look bettter this morning, maybe last night they were just drugged out by the soil fertilizer.
Pheasantman
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »

MochaChai,

If you are worried about wild bird diseases, buy some sand from home depot.  The birds could care less what kind of dirt they have, as long as they have some.  Potting soil usually has a lot of fertilizers and nutrients, so that is probably your problem.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 08:26:07 AM »

No I am not worried about the birds getting "wild bird diseases" the birds don't poop pin the dirt they are batheing in and the wild birds I am talking about are the other quail we released eariler this year that have not gone into the woods yet.

Anyway...I looked at the bag of potting soil I have in the shed and I don't think I even want to put it on my plants it has insecticide, formaldahyde etc...to keep from spoiling. anyway...

good luck with your birds. I hope you don't lose anymore birds.

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »