Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Dog training
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dog training  (Read 5211 times)
mathieu1
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:19:26 PM »

Does anybody know a good book on trianing a retriver to hunt pheasants
birdinwithblue
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »

never got much out of a book . every dog is different . i teach them the basics commands and they will have the rest or they wont .
Bird Crazed
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 09:44:57 PM »

Well I will attempt to offer a couple of options for you since you have not gotten many replies. First, what kinda of dog do you have?

Are you wanting to train just retrieves for pheasants or do you mean "hunt" literally?  

Anyway, I will guess that you have a flushing dog of some sort.  There are some good books but have you considered videos?  They will allow you to gain a sense for reading a dog better than a book, plus the demonstrations are good.  If you have a lab there is a good book by George Hickox called Pheasants and labs.  It is for flushing dogs and he is one of the best trainers in the country.  Maybe that is a start for you.

Hope this helps and some others will post up for you.  I am not a retriever man, I have a GSP, so I do not know what is all out there.
mathieu1
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:54:58 AM »

I HAVE A GOLDEN RETRIEVER AND WANT TO TEACH TO HUNT PHEASANTS AND DUCKS
Bird Crazed
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 07:35:07 PM »

Go to his web page and order the tape or book.  He is one of the best there is.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:45:15 AM »

Bird Crazed,

I hope you get back on and read this. We are looking for a GSP. I wasn' t so hot on them at first until I watched a program on the Outdoor life channel about retrivers, pointers etc...bird dogs in general and it was love at first sight. We are currently looking for a GSP, I have 2 Rotts and a daushaund (which by the way finds the birds that accidently get out of the pens and "shorty" brings them back to us unharmed, well a little spity  :?  but that is alright.) anyway...he is not hunting material unless you want something under ground and then watch him go. Loves to dig up moles and voles. anyway....you have several posts about your GSP and you seem to be of the opinion that they are very versatle (sorry spelling sucks) anyway...can you give me some more information about that. I have been to web site after web site but it helps to hear it from some one who loves the dog.

Thanks Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:28:56 AM »

Lori, I certainly fall under the catagory of someone who loves their GSP! My dog Gem Stone is pictured next to my posts along with Uplandhunters GSP Rusty (we met on this sight). Gem is backing point for Rusty in that shot. This is my second GSP and they are certainly versatile dogs. I am going to start training Gem to retrieve waterfowl this season. She gets along with my three children (4,6,and 9) just great, and my wife has even stated that she wouldn't be that bad of an inside dog. Like all pointing breeds they are very energetic and need lots of room to run and excersise. They are also very trainable, even for a novice like me.  :wink:

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
DTVM
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 09:35:36 AM »

Reply to the original question: "looking for a book on training a Retriever to hunt pheasants".

May I suggest The Labrador Shooting Dog ISBN#: 1-893740-01-3, by Mike Gould.  The book teaches Training the Labrador Retriever as an All-Around Sporting Dog.

Bill Tarrant the former Gun Dog Editor of Field & Stream wrote,  "Mike Gould is the most brillant gun dog trainer in the world."

The book is written with the Lab in mind but the system works on most breeds of dogs.

There is a picture of an exceptionally handsome young man on page 115, a chip off the old block you might say. :wink:
Bird Crazed
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:56:19 PM »

Lori,
You are right, I love dogs and in particular GSPs.  Also, I am of the opinion that you should look at the German Wire Hair.  They are incredible and probably the best all around breed.  I can get into it later about why I chose Dixie, my GSP.  Nonetheless, both are fanatastic and what you end up with revolves around what breeder has what you want when you want it.  I am convinced that these are the top two versatile breeds.  Again, I can discuss later if you like.  I recommend looking at an an organazation called North American Versatile Hunting Dogs Association (NAVHDA) at WWW.NAVHDA.ORG they are the standard regarding versatile breeds.  As far as a breeder goes I would recommend WWW.sharpshooterskennels.com.  Once you gain the understanding for NAVHDA's tests you will see that the proff is in the pudding with this kennel
Hope this helps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »