Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  quailprogramvideo.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: quailprogramvideo.com  (Read 6844 times)
drwink
Expert Member

« on: May 24, 2004, 11:28:40 AM »

I was wondering if anyone from here has ever saw this or used the concept in training, if your not familiar with it type it in your search engine & check it out.
I have a new pup coming in about 3 weeks & would like to try it. It sounds like it would work well, the young dog learns & the quail learn & both get smarter.

Any thoughts ?
Thanks

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
mikewvgsp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 05:05:53 PM »

drwink
I have Dale's video. If you go this way check game laws here in WV the
D N R Wont let me use it ,you let them out of the pen and WV thinks that the birds are theres. Cant have that..... :twisted:   It works but you will lose some birds...I think that is why D N R does not like this way, you dont know how many you have out....Mike    M T C GAMEBIRDS
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »

Mike I don't really understand what you are saying ?
I am in Michigan, here when you release birds they also are released birds and no longer yours, but can train dogs on them.
Aside from the quiet time/training ban from April 15 to July 15, but after that you can train/run dogs on wild & released birds.
I haven't seen the video yet & mabey I'm missing something but have read the website info.
If I don't recall they birds, I can still take the dog out to the fields they were released in and try to find them can't I ?
I will check somemore on this. In the video, do they recall the birds and then release them from a pen again for the pup or do you just set out a spot for feed/water for them & try to pick up on them in the area with the pup ?

Thanks for the reply

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
mikewvgsp
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:14:33 PM »

drwink
In WV we can train on birds all year but can only kill them for the dogs from
nov. to dec...... Dale says to release and recall daily.. then when the next batch of quail can deal with the over night temps. block off the recall cones
so the older birds cant get back in the pen... The quail need to be in the pen for 6 to 8 weeks before release.   You can tie up alot of time and money in this but you will have good birds.. :D    Mike
birdman182
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 09:32:22 PM »

hey drwink did you let your birds go or do you still have them i have more if you want more
DTVM
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »

I purchased the video and followed it to the letter even purchased the same equipment Dale used. After a couple of years of doing it Dale's way I realized there are better resources available for free. Dale's video covers the basic incubation and brooding of approx. 1400 quail per year. Then he puts them in a carport that he has converted into a big recall pen. Then they wonder around his yard. You get really good "yard Chicken" quail.

One thing about it though, my wife did'nt yell at me half as bad when she stepped in the Quail S--t as she did when she stepped in the chicken s--t.

Just about everthing you need to know about incubation and brooding of Bobwhite Quail can be found at:>
>
>   http://msstate.edu/dept/poultry/bwqtopic.htm

The best resource I found for releasing quail was in the sales video at:>>

www.qualitywildlife.com

Jim Evans @ Quality Wildlife was very helpful even though I didn't purchase any of his products.

In Idaho where I live the Game Dept. considers any gamebird that hits the ground, the state's property, "unless" that gamebird is released from a recall pen, in that case the person with the recall pen retains ownership.

I made the Warden read the law to me in his office because the first statement he made was "if you release the quail it becomes the state's property" but when we read the law then he found the "recall pen clause" it may pay to look up you state law your self.
Palm Valley Quail
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:39:10 PM »

I think ya'll are missing the point of Dale's video. I purchased it also. The whole thing behind Dale's video is to condition the birds to become wild,train them to survive on their own. You let them out daily so they get used to finding food,water,cover,etc. but there is also a secure place with food,water, and shelter they go back to that they have imprinted on (the cage).

I have 45 bobs I'm using this program on and when I first started letting them (5 weeks old) out they stuck right near the cage and only stayed out for about 10 mins but now at 11 weeks old as soon as I let them out (about half) they take flight (awesome covey rise) straight to the woods adjacent to my house and stay out for a few hours. I imagine the older they get the more wild they will become. Now keep in mind I only started with 45 and the last time I took a count of them they were still 45 strong.

I would imagine it would be difficult to keep track of 1,000 birds but with that many why would you worry. I can tell you thus far the program is working great for my quail. And this might sound corny but I can tell how much they enjoy being let out of the cage. Every morning and afternoon when they see me coming to the cage they all run up to the door so they can be the half that I let out.

I think the only time that Dale locks the birds out is in the Spring when he's about to start another batch,that way the older birds don't get in and kill the young ones.
Palm Valley Quail
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »

Well a few days ago I was about ready to retract my statement ! A few days ago I let half of them out and they usually stay out a few hours at a time and then return but dusk rolled around and no quail to be seen or heard so the next day after getting off work I thought I'd go out to a pen full of quail but they still hadn't returned. To make a long story short, out of the 20 I let out about half of them returned 24 hours later and the other half returned 48 hours later. I think this program is turning my quail into wild birds!!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 07:14:41 PM »

I release mine at 5 weeks of age throughout the summer and they have thrived. I have read where alot of folks release them in the fall, and usually at a much older age in which I think is too late for them to adapt before winter strikes.  I just take them out and turn them loose, throw some bird feed seed out at the release site once and that's about it.  I believe that any program involving human interaction, boxes, cages, feeders, etc. does more harm than good as far as letting them be "wild". I don't want them to become dependent on me. My neighbors and I have spotted quite a few quail throughout the summer from the 100 I released in the spring. If they can't make it on their own, I doubt that I could have done anything to help them. The only thing that I do is strip mow feilds at various times and I have planted food plots over a 400 acre farm that hasn't been farmed for about 30+ years.

Of course if you're wanting to call them back and such, that would be a different story.

I may just be lucky, although the habitat in which I have released them is extremely "quail" friendly.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
DTVM
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »

In Dale's video he mentions how raising quail is all about numbers. He starts with 1400 eggs, after incubation and before going into the hatcher he candles them, he may loose 10 to 20% due to infertility. From the hatcher they go to the brooder and then to the outside release/recall pen. He loses a few in the brooding process.

He may end up releasing from 900 to 1200 quail.

The reason he release so many is to insure there are survivors the following spring. If those spring survivors raise their own young, then you could possibly have wild quail.

Where I disagree with Dale's system, when survivors reproduce, if it happens where you can video it without them trying to hide and you watch the young in your garden you don't have wild quail, yet.

The reason for "remote" pens and hardware are for the initial winter survival of the first coveys after they have reproduced the following year then their young will seperate and create new  "wild coveys" without hardware assistance. "Wild" doesn't happen in one year, Except in the case of teenagers.

If you've got good habitat and few predators your odds for winter survival go up. But you'll need to release birds every year until the numbers can substain themselves.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »