Hunting Gamebirds > Bird Dog Topics

Training my French Brittany.

<< < (2/2)

CaliPheasantGuy:
yes, im sure to hunt him into the wind whenever it is possible. and i do try and reward him. his mom was great and i never had this problem with her. so im confused by it. i went out for some wild valley's today and couldnt find anything. flushed up a hen RN and saw a rooster take off down the road. he smelled him by the time we got down there.. but i dont know. he just walks next to me not really hunting. too bad it isnt pheasant season yet. and the terrain i was hunting today, was just a couple ditches and a levy covered in thick brush, tules, and some berry bushes.

lamike:
Sounds to me you have made your dog too much of a friend instead of a hunter.
try taking affection from it.
Treat it more of a tool than a pet.

CaliPheasantGuy:
hmm ill try that, thanks for the input

Theaver:
I have had a half American half French bred brittany. She was a bit bigger than a wholly French bred dog. She was easier to train than the French bred dogs I have worked with. She could and did work on our grouse moors alongside pointers and setters. She won two grouse trials competing against members of the other H.P.R. breeds. I prefer the "American" brit to the purely French one but that is based on that one @$$$@.

If what I have heard is true, while the French trial bred brits can run like stink, they often have a rather poor retrieve instinct. The French standards for retrieving seem to be less than those in Britain . It seems to be the case in French trials that as long as the bird is brought back - that's fine. Given a choice I'd go for an American bred Brit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version