Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:00:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Awful smell from the new additions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awful smell from the new additions  (Read 2688 times)
yarnlady
« on: June 17, 2006, 07:40:59 PM »

Today I went to get two female 6 week old button quails to keep my male 6wk old button quail company.  I have them in a 4- square-foot, 3 foot high guinea pig cage, which as I understand it is plenty of space for these three.  The problem is? I'm keeping them indoors near a sunny window. The lone quail was virtually odorless but the two females' droppings smell *awful*.

Is it what they were being fed in their farm previously? I feed my quail crumble especially for quails; I am pretty sure they were eating turkey starter or other things at their old place.  I've gone ahead and added a little vinegar to their drinking water and of course now they're eating the same thing as the other quail, but in the meantime my living room smells like an ammonia-covered barn.

I have gravel paper lining the bottom of the cage along with some organic Timothy hay (which they love to play with). Any suggestions? I've added fresh hay and that helps for an hour or two but in the meantime YIKES. The irony? The little stinky hens are much much smaller than the odorless boy quail!

Suggestions? Advice?

They are all otherwise very cute (the attached pic is of one of the new hens) and seem to be getting along really well.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:44:13 PM by yarnlady » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »

Sorry, I can't help ya out in the "stinky" department because they all stink if you ask me.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
yarnlady
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:49:05 PM »

Thank you trailboss!  I just wanted to give an update: once the cheapie heapie turkey starter was all out of my girls' systems, and once I put in a light layer of pine shavings in with the straw, I'm happy to report they are now totally and completely odorless. Yay!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »