Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  starter protein %
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: starter protein %  (Read 4969 times)
kat
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:25:59 PM »

I have seen this too in books, that quail need a higher protein. I had gotten chick starter from a feed store when the man convinced me it's 17% was just fine for quail. Reading more, I thought I should try harder to find a higher protein . I called GQF to ask to buy some feed from them.  [which they dont sell btw] Now they also said the plain turkey feed starter was just fine, too. What's up?
TIA
kat
woodenegg
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »

The turkey started we get up here is usually around 27-28% and is often used when other choices are not available.  If you can get some, it will work fine.  The lower the protein, the slower the chick will grow and smaller they will be.  They need to protein to "be all they can be".
kat
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:31:21 PM »

I don't understand the discrepincies. I was surprised GQF said 17% would be "fine".  The 17% is all I can find anywhere within a 3 hour driving distance.  Do you know how to find someone who would ship? And, would you go to that length when some are saying 17% will be 'fine'?
 I see you are saying what is best. This is our first hatching. [A family project/adventure, and...]  We would love to do the best for them, but we aren't finding it very possible. Can we relax and enjoy what we get in the way of a hatch, and what we have for starters? It is wonderful to see the detail here, but at times I am so overwhelmed by all the stuff. Eeeks, yet we want to have some living! Is there a difference between  neccesities for just a small, yet successful  project  at this point verses the best [which I see shooting for in the near future for us ]?
***How in the world did that quail Robert/a  ever hatch and even live?!  seriously.
thanks,
kat
ncffp163
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:29:34 PM »

Hi Kat,

I found Purina "Startena" game bird feed at my local feed store at 30% protein. Also you can order Purina "Mazuri" Game Bird starter on line if you can't find any near you. Here is their website:

http://www.mazuri.com/indexmazuri-5637.htm

You can also go to Purina's website to find a feed store near you:

http://www.purinamills.com/

Also if there's a Tractor Supply near you, They usually have turkey starter that would work. Hope this helps.

Eric
faro

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:15:38 AM »

Kat,
   The quail chicks need a starter that is 28-30% protein to thrive. 17% in my opinion is way to low to start chicks on.
    I have a hard time getting "game bird" feed in my area, and I use turkey starter....(medicated, in my case) and I do think it this is an important part of raising quail. I would not settle for less than 28% protein.

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 05:16:29 AM »

If you need more protein hard boil eggs chop them up and feed to them
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:43:15 AM »

Why not ask your local feed store to get the feed you want ? Worked for me one time.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 12:41:13 PM »

Why not ask your local feed store to get the feed you want ? Worked for me one time.

Depending on where you are located, and the actual need for this feed within the area, most feed stores will not order unless you are willing to purchase in large volumes, and at least 50% cash down or the whole purchase price up front.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
kat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 04:20:03 PM »

Thank you for advice and links! I did order the  special starter feed on-line. With shipping it is still better than driving to Savannah. I am glad I will have the right feed.
Our closest local feed store we spent hours in. It was museum-like with all kinds of stuff I am sure was there in their same spot over 75 years ago. It was so great, though I don't think he could order me anything special. [In fact I don't know when he ordered anything last.]
 Can't wait!
kat
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »

I just got some soybean meal today. I mixed it with my starter. The atarter I got is 24% and the soybean meal is 48%. I mixed it 3/4# starter to 1/4# soybean meal which if I figured correctly it will bring the protien level up to 30%.

mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »