Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  what age
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what age  (Read 2678 times)
April
« on: September 16, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »

My cousin is hatching my chicks for me, well not literally she is using an incubator.
She asked me at what age i would like the chicks, as this my first time im not sure any advice would be appreciated.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 11:32:21 PM »

What kind of quails were they again?

Depends on what you are raising the quails for. If you are raising more or less as pets, I would get them right after they hatch. They are most fun to watch when chickies. And they will be semi-tame if you handle them or watch them daily. I had some bobwhites that I brood after hatching in my room for 4 weeks till I couldn't stand the smell any more and threw them out back. Even now, when i go to feed them, they are docile and not too jumpy.

If you rather not bother with brooding etc., get them when they outgrow their baby feathers. That way you wont have to brood and can throw them out in the cage. Hope this helps.
April
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:31:44 PM »

Great advice thanks. I am keeping them for eggs and fun as my garden is a bit small for chickens I thought I would try quails. I have decided to take them on at 4 weeks just got to sort some heat out.
April
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »

sorry forgot to mention they are Japenese,Italian & Spanish 2 of each to start with
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »