Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Just stopped turning!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just stopped turning!!!  (Read 9192 times)
CoopVilla
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »

If it survives - a pet is what I'd expect too.  A different brooder ? - antibiotic ?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:19:18 AM by CoopVilla » Logged
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »

I just went to TSC and got some electrolytes and some Terramycin... Gonna try it out. He's in the incubator still at this point, got it set to mimic the brooder temp etc... Picked up another red bulb, gonna make a mini brooder for it. I know, I'm nuts.
But the vet-tech in me is taking over....
CoopVilla
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »

If it hasn't crossed your mind already, there maybe bacteria floating around in your Styrofoam incubator/brooder. I'd disinfect it asap and keep this chick away from your stock. If it were me, I'd consider permanently for various reasons, The first reason being it's a pet. I'd also like to suggest to always wash your hands before and after you handle it and any other safety measure you can think of. Its better to be safe than sorry.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:20:53 AM by CoopVilla » Logged
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

Thanks. I took him out of it today and cleaned the incubator out well. Everyone else is doing just fine. Only only one small guy they pecked a little... He's in yet another isolation box... I think I have washed my hands more in the last 4 days than in the last month!!! I am being as careful as I can! 
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

Update, if anyone is still interested... I have too much time on my hands. Little special needs quail isn't so needy anymore! He's doin really well. Got stuck on his side once yesterday that I know of, hubby found him like that when he came home. And helped him up even! He's becoming a softie! He actually ( the bird) acquired a name today----ready for this---Dan Quail. HA!!!!!!!!!! I think it's funny. Can't stop laughin at myself for coming up with it. Anywho, he's doin good, and the one that they pecked is back in the popualtion and they like him now. All is well in quail city! Thanks for all your advice, even tho y'all would've knocked off little Dan Quail days ago... I wanted to also, but that didn't happen and now I guess I'm glad for it. j1
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 01:58:55 AM »

keep us updated on how you are doing with the little ones.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

Dan Quail

I've had several with a similar name........the only difference was there was a "m", between the "a" and the "n".

:grin:

even tho y'all would've knocked off little Dan Quail days ago...

:-o   

You will too, in time, if you continue to hatch them.   ^-^

He's doin really well.

s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CoopVilla
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »

s98
greyghost
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »

Hi Jaime, I had the same problem with my Hova ( turned up wire floor ) and fixed it with toothpicks in the corners. You can also replace the wire with nylon screening used for windows, it lays flatter therefore no curling as it does not have memory like wire. Hope this helps. Dave.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

Its wire it bends...bend it back...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »

I have tried to bend it back, no luck.  I mean, it sat the whole time with the eggs on it and even 24 days later it still turned up on the corners when they hatched and the wieght came off it. Dunno.... Some toothpicks or some sort of pin in the corners will def. be used next time!!
CoopVilla
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »

One might be able to come up with better material, a better idea or something else thats worked for them - For me,  Not wanting to damage the inside, I use a basic frame composed of loose sticks of heavy wood, sure, wood absorbs water and may present other problems but its worked.

I cover the lip where its needed and add a few weights if required. I've also used a damp sponge acting as weight. I tried turning the floor over but it didn't work to well all though less manage to get under it. I suppose one could attach it to the plastic tray in some way.

Just I know that you know, I have applied the use of treatments and (re)introduce those that can once convinced there will be no further problems. The birds should soon act just like the others... Its not always like this but they tend follow the old monkey see monkey do thing. Including what appears to us as stupidity.

This is probably pointless but I'll say it anyway.

When I was a kid, I raised owl and roller pigeons. One day I found one of MY hens dead. She had been setting on eggs for about a week. When I picked her up I noticed a small whole in her head, I then noticed a nail sticking out just enough near her nest box I had never given a second thought too.

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

I will keep those tips in mind! Holy cow, can't imagine finding your hen with a hole in her head!!  :sad:  That must have been horrifying for a young person! Live and learn... That's what this whole thing is to me...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »