Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Massey Ferguson Planter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massey Ferguson Planter  (Read 35295 times)
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »

Charlie,  I haven't seen one of those single row corn pickers for about 40 years.  I grew up on a small farm in north central Iowa were my father would pick out about 50 acres of corn with one of those every year.  He never had much trouble with it,  good maintenance is the answer.  Good Luck,   Charlie
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »

Well, got to try it out..........some.  Picked corn by hand since the wildlife and excessive rain destroyed a good portion of it.  I ended up using the picker to husk the corn, it worked surprisingly well.

j2

(Click on pic to enlarge):

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »

And another............

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »

CharlieHorse,

How many bushels did ya get total?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »

I couldn't even guess on that yet.  I haven't shelled it yet and will be storing it in a crib to dry further before shelling. I'd be surprised if I even have one, when I should have got an estimated 180 off that size feild.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in the yeild. Actually, what corn come up, produced well, then came the deer......... :x .   I'm still shocked as to how much they destroyed.  Here's a picture of ALL of it after coming off of the husking bed:    

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:02:57 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

s20

And no.........that is not a gravity wagon!!!!    Your eyes do not decieve you!  That is my sons ATV trailer!!!!  Took about 3 hrs for me to collect that pitiful pile of corn by hand.  I think we had more sweet corn than that in our lousey garden.

Is that embarrassing or what?

s16        s2        s49      s47                                                                       j10

s80

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:08:21 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »

j41 Hey look you got a Whole Trailer Full!!!!
 j44

Well yeah those  s53 deer and  s53 coons get everything and they destroy fields over night  s80
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

I had a trailer like that. It was also held together with a bungie cord.

CharlieHorse, are you saying that is allllllllllllllllllll the corn from that on large field?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2008, 01:06:04 PM »

At least it wasn't a shock to me.  After watching it deteriorate from opposing forces for the past few months, I'm actually surprised there is that much.  They seem to have let up for a spell and I noticed they (deer/coon) were now starting to hit very hard again. So I figured I better get what I could, while I could, before the rain hit and got it wet again. Another week or so at the rate they were cleaning me out, I doubt there would have been anything at all.

Several hundred dollars spent getting $15 worth of corn!!  Maybe I can sell my equipment to birdlover17?

Picking it by hand left the stalks standing of course (what's still standing), so the gamebirds and critters will have a place to run and root around in all winter with some cover. I had some millo and millet amongst some of the corn in the field, a little has survived thus far. Deer ate practically all of it too.

s47

Lesson of the day:   Don't pick field corn with bare hands, unless you like your corn covered with blood.   :-o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:10:24 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

Charliehorse look at it on the bright side ...that deer meat that you are going to put in the freezer will be well fed so I would say that you did a smart thing. s98

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »

And here I thought you were something of a Redneck..... turns out you are a Daisy picking environmentalist helping out the local wildlife with your own hard earned money !

i9
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 05:26:24 AM »

And here I thought you were something of a Redneck..... turns out you are a Daisy picking environmentalist helping out the local wildlife with your own hard earned money !

i9

j45 Now that is funny. Reeves just seems to have a way with words. Must be a Canadian thing...

Well put my good man j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »

Join the club Charlie, I had worse results once from a 4 acre patch, same predators. Only good I got out of it was turning the family cow into it. She cleaned up the stalks.

Would like to see that one row picker, we had one pulled by four horses behind a jig cart, the whole clan thought it was quite a thing.  I forget the make, it was red.  I was miffed because my grandfather wouldnt let me drive the team, I was all of eight and drove the team pulling the little newer spreader. 

At that time in NY if you started getting that kind of crop loss the DNR would give you a permit to take some of the pressure off. It didnt really help a lot.

Steve , I also have noticed the poetic side of Reeves, he has such a way with verse.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:39 AM »

c109       s47

Join the club Charlie, I had worse results once from a 4 acre patch, same predators. Only good I got out of it was turning the family cow into it. She cleaned up the stalks.

Thanks Jake, it was purely experimental this time, so I didn't expect anything I guess.

the poetic side of Reeves, he has such a way with verse.

s20   Since when does being "full of it" become poetic?   s47  It must have started with this presidential election?    :grin:

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »

s020
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »