Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  Newbie question, put older birds with younger ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie question, put older birds with younger ?  (Read 11182 times)
missfire

Personal Text

« on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »

Can you put young chicks and older chicks together in the same grow out pen, or will the older ones attack/peck the younger ones.  ty2

Dan
QUAIL

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »

When I did that the young ones did not last long.Better to keep them apart.
Quail
jenspice

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »

I will never do this again! I had my pullets nearly grown and one of the females attacked all of them. Had stitches and one got scalped! Not sure if any will survive this mistake. The crazy one even attacked one of the other adult females.
brippley

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »

I have had success doing this. I have been raising quail for several years, I have four different pens to grow out birds before they go to the final pen which has various aged birds inside.  Inside that final pen i have a separate netted off area that allows me to place the newly moved birds inside.  This allows them to see the new additions, and I think accept them into the flock without allowing them to be harmed. I have found that if I keep them in that separate area for a week then I can open up the netting allowing them to mingle without harm to the new additions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:54:13 AM by brippley » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »