Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  day old bobwhite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: day old bobwhite  (Read 5398 times)
mcmopar

« on: April 23, 2008, 10:21:47 PM »

So I am just getting into hunting birds, my dog was  born on 4-19-08, english setter, my ? is to train my dog I am ordering up 35 bobwhites is there any basic tips anybody has on raising day olds? To start them out can they walk on screen or is it better to have them on cardboard? I am pretty wound up about all of this , and I even gave up deer hunting just so I have enough time to train my dog the first couple of years. I have a million ? so any help would be greatly helpful.

Thanks Mcmopar
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:29:24 AM by mcmopar » Logged
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »

The first two weeks of age i put down paper towels. Cardboard will cause leg problems it is too slick.I use the blue automotive towels, they are thicker and stronger. They will role up with the poop to be discarded easier.I use 1/2 x1/2 wire on the floor. I grind to a fine powder Purina medicated turkey starter for about 3 weeks.After that they can process it without grinding. All that being said you may want to work on a lot of things with your puppy before you introduce him to birds.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:38 AM »

......browse around the site, you'll find all kinds of ideas and answers. Any specific subject may be found using the "search" feature. Get stuck on something or whatever, throw it out there and someone will help you out or point you in the right direction.

Good Luck and..... s016

a31
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:40:06 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mcmopar

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »

I have read alot of books on training a dog , but finding them about quail is harder. I will be going through this site alot for ? and answers. I am getting my setter from from my boss, and he has 3 that he hunts with, and has won compititions in WI with one of them, and hunts them most weekends. He is going to work with me on tranning my dog. I want to have the birds ready to fly when the dog is at 8 weeks. thanks agin mcmopar
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:51:35 AM by mcmopar » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »

.....finding them about quail is harder.

Did you look at the "Home Page" here?   Lots of info there if you get digging around, and books.  Try your local library?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »

Quote from: mcmopar link=topic=4573.msg25912#msg25912 date=1209040718
 I want to have the birds ready to fly when the dog is at 8 weeks. thanks agin mcmopar
[/quote

May I ask what you will be doing with 16 week old Quail, and an 8 week old puppy?

I would suggest concentrating on the dog, and buying the birds if at all possible.  Everyone knows the basics of keeping a dog alive, and happy.  Quail are a lot trickier, and require specialized equipment.  You won't have a momma Quail to do most of the work, at first, like with a puppy.  Does your boss raise Quail?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »