Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Sears Super Hatcher
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sears Super Hatcher  (Read 26215 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »

Does anyone know where if at all possible I could get some instructions for this thing, I know its a long shot, but I cannot find anything related to instructions for this on the web.  I would be happy with just photocopied or scanned copies if possible.

Thanks
Bill

Hopefully you'll find an owners manual, but it will probably cost you $800-$1200, so I'm thinkin' that you'd be better off to except my offer (my hatcher has manuals too) and get rid of that thing before you get in too deep!  :grin:

You should be able to call Sears and mention the model number to get a owners manual for it, just like it says on the tag?   :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »

It looks a lot like my Leahy Favorite, which is an incubator, with six trays, and a lever for hand turning (tilting).  There were probably a dozen brands that look similar, which were built from the 20s through the 50s I believe mine is from the 30s.

As far as instructions, I doubt they would be that helpful.  Nostalgia value would be great.  I've seen many brocures, and manuals on ebay, while searching for incubators.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Gunner63

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

Well, we have fired the old girl up and after some experimentation, on the humidity and temp, we loaded it up with 600 cortunix eggs and around 120 chicken eggs as to hatch around the same time.  She's been holding 99.5-99.9 degrees and relative humidity of 55-61% for the past 9 days.  So far so good, yeah I know it aint quite the ease of a GQF, but it sure is an amazing machine for being I would guess over 50 years old.  Something nostalgic about opening that old latched door and pulling or pushing in the tray screen to turn the eggs.  Hopefully the namesake Super Hatcher holds true in 12 days when the peeps are expected to arrive.

SMack dab in the middle of the mitten
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 08:03:53 AM »

Sounds great. :grin:

I still think that you should have accepted my offer!  :x   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:59 AM »

Hey Gunner63,

Post a picture of that old beast.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Gunner63

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »

Steve, I got pics posted on page 1 of this thread, if you cant view let me know and I will send you a pic.  I will post some pics of the hatch when the time gets here.

Bill

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »

Wow, that is a sweet find. Is the cabinet cedar? The Humidaire that I have is a cedar cabinet and polishes up very nice with pledge also.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Gunner63

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »

yep Steve, its a nice dark cedar that shines real well with pledge.  I took out the original thermometer/wet bulb and put in a digital thermo/hygrometer and its fits nicely on the door.  Someone really took care of this, hardly any blemishes or scratches to the wood.  Again the better half says "Wouldnt it make an nice table and bar storage"  LOL

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »

Again the better half says "Wouldnt it make an nice table and bar storage"

They are always think'n, eh !  :laugh:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »

yep Steve, its a nice dark cedar that shines real well with pledge.  I took out the original thermometer/wet bulb and put in a digital thermo/hygrometer and its fits nicely on the door.  Someone really took care of this, hardly any blemishes or scratches to the wood.  Again the better half says "Wouldnt it make an nice table and bar storage"  LOL

Gunner,

What is the height ? My Humidaire is better then 4 foot tall. Even with a bar stool it would be to high.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Gunner63

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »

LOL  I have pointed that out on a couple of occasions, she says something as nice looking as that, one shouldnt worry about finding a place to put your knees. 

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

LOL  I have pointed that out on a couple of occasions, she says something as nice looking as that, one shouldnt worry about finding a place to put your knees. 

Actually, there are a lot of table-like incubators (usually kerosene heated) that would be much better suited to her needs.  Check ebay.  Many go pretty cheap, but if you don't find one within driving distance cost can more than double.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Gunner63

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:09 PM »

Yes, we have seen those.  Currently theres a David Bradley ( I am thinking along the lines of a tractor brand here) that is listed, that about a 2 hour drive away.  If it runs anything like this one, it might be worth the drive.  Very similar looking to this one that holds 600 eggs while that holds 400.

Gunner63

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »

Well the peeps are starting to make there way out of the eggs, looks to be about 50 so far this morning on the coturnix side, (I have 300 per tray) and the chickens are due to start hatching tommorow.  A little slide here and a little slide there of the draft and intake holes and you can pump that humidity up in the 70% range pretty good.  You know this sure says a lot for workmanship back then, this thing runs like a top (knock on the cedar wood its made out of) and sure beats the styrofoam we have been using, and I really dont mind hand turning the eggs.  Kinda keeps me in tune with how things are going.  One side note though, I had to cover the glass window with a towel to keep the light out, the first 5-10 chicks followed each other like lemmings to the bottom of the bator, theres a couple of spots that you just cant wire shut tight enough for them to stay in the basket.  BUT overall, I am pretty happy.  Pics coming soon.
Bill

Gunner63

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »

Not only does mama want to make my super hatcher into day to day furniture, she took off for a homecoming football game with the digi cam, so pics will have to wait until the next batch of 300 or so.  I have filled 3-90 quart totes with more quail than I can count.  Its easier to count the eggs left in the bator.  Last count my kid came up with 31 eggs out of 300 left  which puts at about the 90% range if my math is right, a heck of a lot better than we have been averageing in the foam domes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »