Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hatch ratio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hatch ratio  (Read 7194 times)
zipper

« on: April 04, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »

Just curious........ what do most of you get in hatch ratios? I am a small breeder and I order my BW eggs through the mail in quantities of 250 or less. I have a GQF Sportsman incubator for larger hatches and a Brinsea Octagon 20 for smaller hatches. I very seldom get over a 50% hatch ratio. I thoroughly clean after each hatch and sanitize as needed but my hatch ratio remains low. I have ordered from several different sources (some on this forum) and yet the results are the same. The eggs look to be developed but don't hatch. I keep the humidity around 70% the last few days before hatching and both incubators have a good reputation for hatching eggs but somehow I struggle getting good hatch rates. Any suggestions?????
zipper

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

I should have added that I understand why the clears don't hatch but why don't the developing eggs hatch. I just checked my batch in the Sportsman today and only 4 clear eggs out of 120 total eggs. The others appear dark and developing. They should hatch by the end of next week. I hope..............
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

50% hatch rate with eggs shipped in the mail you should count yourself among the blessed
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »

50% hatch rate with eggs shipped in the mail you should count yourself among the blessed

So, what does that make me?

Except for my last shipments of Georgia Giant, and Jumbo Wisconsin eggs, last winter, I've had 85%-87% hatches.  That included Winter hatches, when keeping heat, and humidity up was tough, and Summer, when several settings have gone through times of 103-104 degree temperatures.  My worst hatch was about 52%.

While some clears, and blood rings, are likely caused by poor handling and egg temperatures, deaths in the last half of incubation are probably caused by humidity/temperature problems, or disease/sanitation type concerns.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 02:49:50 AM »

Disclaimer:   Due to all the variables with shipped eggs; carrier handling, customer incubation and hatching equipment and/or techniques, beyond our control, we cannot predict or guarantee your hatchability rate or success.

I do think you should get at least 80-85% hatchability rate if you know what you are doing. If not, it is more then likely on the suppliers end(old eggs).

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:16:26 AM »

Hello, Like jchiar said 50% is about average for shipped eggs. I'm getting good rates with my birds here and very good with my shipped eggs. I've got good hatch rates reported as well as not so good(50%). I hate that the fact we spend out hard earned money to buy eggs at times and you'd think that the postal service would take pride in their work being "US" labeled postal service as we do in our country but they don't give a crap it ticks me off to NO END how they treat the eggs. I'm always trying to IMPROVE but you get the good with the bad as you do with everything. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:52:48 AM »

Hello, Like jchiar said 50% is about average for shipped eggs. I'm getting good rates with my birds here and very good with my shipped eggs. I've got good hatch rates reported as well as not so good(50%). I hate that the fact we spend out hard earned money to buy eggs at times and you'd think that the postal service would take pride in their work being "US" labeled postal service as we do in our country but they don't give a crap it ticks me off to NO END how they treat the eggs. I'm always trying to IMPROVE but you get the good with the bad as you do with everything. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy

Tommy,

From what you are saying, if I order eggs from you I can only expect a 50% hatch rate? This is not good. I would be placing the blame on the egg supplier and not the U.S.P.S.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

I've had good hatches with shipped BW eggs(80% and up). Coturnix is so-so. Buttons, I get low hatches.

Im sure there are many factors involved.

Regarding the original question, if humidity and temp is ruled out then could possibly be the chicks are not getting enough oxygen?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

Im sure there are many factors involved.

I had a couple of S.A. answers on the tip of my brain, but you might take them seriously.  You're right, of course.  It is interesting that you would have a big difference in hatch rates with different types of eggs.  Different sources?  Perhaps buttons eggs are just overly sensitive.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

Regarding the original question, if humidity and temp is ruled out then could possibly be the chicks are not getting enough oxygen?

I bet this happens a lot, especially with economy incubators.  It can be pretty hard to keep humidity up with adequate air flow.  Closing the air vents can bring humidity up quickly.  It would make sense that low oxygen, the last three days could rob them of the strength needed to hatch.  Keeping the incubator in a room with very high ambient humidity, and 80F-90F makes this easier, especially when incubator has to be opened.  I suppose egg coolers, or shipping boxes could be too air tight, also.

Zipper, you may want to get an adjustable thermometer (Wal-Mart, in the kitchen gadget section, under $15), and calibrate it.  Use it to compare to the thermometers you are using (at incubator temperatures).  Then use it to check the humidity.  Make notes about the results.  If your gauges are off, either replace them, or make a label telling what reading reflects the correct conditions.

If you find your humidity is off 10%, or more, or temperature more than a couple of degrees, you may have found the problem.

TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:03:09 AM »

No what I'm saying is all I've gotten from shipped eggs I bought is about 50% hatch rates
zipper

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I just checked my Sportsman that had 120 BW eggs and about 40 have hatched today. I always have a few stragglers that take 1-2 more days but it looks like another 50% hatch rate. I have calibrated the temperature and the humidity with other proven sources and everything checks out good. I have not investigated the oxygen theory though it does make sense. Close the holes in the back will increase humidity and could possibly lower oxygen levels. I have ordered another 120 BW eggs and will try again.
gamebird

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and raising gamebids. I just put 550 bobwhite eggs in my incubator. Is 50% hatch rate, the best I can hope for with shipped eggs?   Thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and raising gamebids. I just put 550 bobwhite eggs in my incubator. Is 50% hatch rate, the best I can hope for with shipped eggs?   Thanks

I would hope not.. If you purchased 550 eggs and if only 275 hatch, you paid twice the original price for the eggs.

Find them locally..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I just checked my Sportsman that had 120 BW eggs and about 40 have hatched today. I always have a few stragglers that take 1-2 more days but it looks like another 50% hatch rate. I have calibrated the temperature and the humidity with other proven sources and everything checks out good. I have not investigated the oxygen theory though it does make sense. Close the holes in the back will increase humidity and could possibly lower oxygen levels. I have ordered another 120 BW eggs and will try again.

What temperature and humidity settings are you using?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »