Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  APGIA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: APGIA  (Read 4923 times)
Pheasantman
« on: August 01, 2004, 02:58:31 PM »

Here's an idea:

Why don't we start a NEW poultry improvement plan.  Call it "American Poultry and Gamebird Improvement Association" or APGIA.  We can certify large hatcheries, breeders, and hobbyists in a less-complicated manner.  We'll test flocks bi-annually and supply a statement if they pass.  Then all they have to do is copy it and send it with their birds.

Just a thought :lol:
DTVM
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:13:40 AM »

Sounds like a good idea. I've been trying to get signed up to the NPIP program here in Idaho, no response from them.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 11:19:50 AM »

Okay could you please explain these organizations? We have been raising quail now for almost 3 years and we are at the point where we would like to start selling birds, eggs, dressed out birds etc. but I don't know how to start.

Questions like; do I need a FEIN number? Do we need some type of inspection before we can sell birds? Things like that and there are probably more questions I should be asking but just don't know them.

Thanks for your time and patience. This has been an interesting and at times frustrating hobby but we need to re-coup some of the expense of building pens, feed and the like.

Thanks again Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 07:14:50 PM »

NPIP is a program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The acronym stands for "National Poultry Improvement Plan".  Originally designed for the poultry industry- it now is the closest thing to a recognized "standard" for ensuring the health of the nations birds.  The test looks for pullorium and typhoid.  There is some movement to also include avian influenza, but I'll defer to others for clarification since I don't believe this has been adopted all over and is more or less at State option.
  To begin selling any processed birds, you will be required to obtain a permit from the USDA.  To obtain the permit, look in your phone book under Government pages.  There are many requirements including standards for your killing, processing, refrigeration facilities.  Another requirement is for routine inspections to ensure your customers are provided with a quality and safe bird for the table.  Inspections will vary depending on the number of birds processed.  
  One of the best "jumping off" points is to contact your local County extension office-  Although to be honest, that may be similar to 4-H and only be something that is present in the South.  If you have one of these extension agents, they can put you in touch with other breeders in your area.  Another good source is your local Wildlife enforcement (Game Warden, Natural Resource....whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) since in all states I'm aware of a State permit (and the obligatory annual inspection of your pens) is required to keep game birds and they will know all the reputable (and questionable) breeders in your area.  Most states also require a permit to release birds (hunting clubs etc..) and these are the same Wildife officials can often point you to some good sells........
  This is a good thread and I hope it gets many posts since many folks have just dabbled in the industry and aren't sure where/when/if they should expand their horizons.......I say go for it and never look back. At least try to cover your overhead for new pens/feed/meds.......

David
DTVM
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 11:33:52 AM »

Ahoy Fivehollers

Below, (Thanks to Google) are some links that will get you information directly from the agencies you'll be doing business with, if you go commerical. You should be able to get most of the info you requested from within these links.

1#  is NPIP from the feds,

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/npip/

2#  is the IL state folks.

http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/regs/ahpoultryregs.html

3#   is the contact information for your county

Cooperative Extension Service, Agriculture Home Economics & 4-H - (217) 849-3931 - , Toledo, IL 624

4#    is a great resource for quail farmers for information.

http://msstate.edu/dept/poultry/bwqtopic.htm

By FEIN I assume you mean Federal Employer Identifcation Number. If your going to have employees yes, you need it.

I've started a few business's in my years most of them failed but one is still going 20 years after I sold it, so I guess I got my one accorn.

Starting a hobby business is great but it still takes the business planning that any other business takes. When it gets sticky is when you try to tell the IRS you have a business. Keep good records and reciepts on everthing.

If you plan on selling processed birds you may think about outsourceing that to a processing plant that already has the permits and inspectors.

I would not start any legal business until you have some perspective customers. Its like having your dog bred, don't until you have the litter sold.

Good luck lets us know what you learn along the way.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 08:53:42 AM »

You guys are great  :!:  :!:

I am going to call the extension office and then go to the links you mentioned above. I was giong to do a search on google but had not a clue what to search for. :shock:

Thanks again and I will keep you posted. I was readiing on another link about the fact that if you release the birds they become the property of the state I will have to look into that as well because as soon as I find a GSP I will be training it to hunt the birds we have released and re-called. They seem to understand that they get freedom during the day and then food, shelter and safetyring the night.'t come back to the recall pen they sleep under the cages with the safety of the electric fence.  :D

Anyway...need to get cracking  oh and I do keep everything recipts etc...my husband says I am a pack rat but if I need proof I have it.

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 08:57:12 AM »

Oh and Pheasantman since the one organization only deals with poultry (I have been to the site) I think your idea is a good one.  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »