Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  leg problems in ringneck hens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: leg problems in ringneck hens  (Read 5569 times)
TENNESSERED

« on: December 04, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »

Two of my ringneck hens developed a problem with their legs.  It is a scaley, bumply growth on their legs.  If you knock off a piece it bleeds and then heals over and grows back the same way.  I first noticed this right after a very cold night last winter and first I thought it was some kind of frostbite.  Now, I'm not so sure what it causing it.  They are very healthy other than their ugly legs and it does not seem to be contagious because the male in with them has never had any problems.  I hope some of you might be able to tell me what it is and how if possible I can treat the condition

thanks
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »

Looks like "scaly leg mite".
Never seen it on Pheasants before, but know it can happen.
All your birds will need treatment.
Including all roosts.

One way is to use an oil, like baby oil. Dip legs in it.

I'll have a read on it here right away. (you may also want to call a vet and ask him what is available where you live).
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »

Now THIS surprised me !

In my book: Commercial and Ornamental hand book, it says :

Scaly leg mite - thickened skin on shank and feet - slow spread through flock - Dip hock, feet, and shanks in motor or diesel oil or kerosene.

Not something I'd do !

Many, many years ago I had chickens. I used baby oil. Treated 3-4 times over about 6-8 weeks. Also put on their roosts. Baby oil is non-toxic, and helps soften the hard scaly stuff.

I'll look some more....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:45:48 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »

Not much more in the book. Lots on mites, but different ones (than scaly).

Call your vet. He/she may know of a much better (and less messy) way to deal with them.

Do you provide a sand bath area ? (you should)

Put dusting powder in their sand: they'll dust them selves. Less stress on you and your birds.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:37 AM »

Yep, all my pens have a square area boarded off with clean dust for the birds to bathe in.  What confuses me is that this begiin with these two hens last winter after a bad cold spell and has not spread to any other bird in my flock (I have close to 200 in all my aviaries.  One of my bird buddies here said the same thing that it was mites and to use old motor oil on thier feet.  I like your idea better about baby oil. I'll give it a try.
thanks

James
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »

Old/used motor oil is contaminated with heavy metals and more.

Good choice not using it !
dmcp1952

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »

I have used this on chickens for scaley leg mites. Heat vasoline in a water bath until it turns to liquid. Mix in water soluble sevin powder into the liquid. I also add some oil of sasafras when I can find it. Put this salve on their legs a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks. It will kill the mites, sometimes if the scales are raised alot they will not come back to normal. You might have to treat your wooden roost poles to completely eliminate the mites.
Dave
TENNESSERED

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »

I have been using regular soybean oil and it seems to be working so far.  I may have to use something stronger if this doesn't do the trick.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 07:53:43 AM »

Reason for oil is to soften the scales and it suffocates them.

As mentioned, do the roosts as well.
dmcp1952

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »

If you ever have trouble with red mites on your birds you can put some of the vasoline mixture under each wing and around the vent and it will contoll the red mites also.
Dave
TENNESSERED

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction.  I used the cooking oil and it worked just fine.    No more scaley leggs!  My hens have good looking legs now.  Just hope the old rooster pays attention this spring!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »