Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Bio Security and your opinions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bio Security and your opinions  (Read 5002 times)
GameBirdSource

« on: July 08, 2007, 09:51:22 PM »

I am curious how you all feel about bio security. How protective or what type of rules do you have for visitors at your farms ? Do you even allow people who have their own birds to visit ? I have found several farms that are very laid back about it. However I contacted a business whom told me because I raise birds, I would not be allowed to tour their facility. They would actually meet me at the car with my order. I tried to convince the business owner I wasn't out to steal trade secrets & truly felt I could never be competition for him (as he is several hours away & huge operation) . He then explained it had nothing to do with that.  "That for bio security reasons & the fact I could track contaminants all over his place. I could not exit my car on their property. " I asked if I had been interested in buying for say a shooting club & did not own a farm what the policy was. His response "you can tour, sit on the porch for ice tea & look at the birds all your little heart desires". So I came back here to the search button & found very little on the subject of bio security. Thought it may get a thread going with varied opinions & experiences.

People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »

well we don't let people by our pens or houses for other security reasons.with all the animal rights people anymore who think they can save every animal in the world.we make them come right to the house.our pens are on the other side of the farm and only the kids and us are aloud around the pens.as for the bio i never thought of it. but everybody who buys birds from us just comes to the house.we had an incident around Pittsburgh on a mink farm where animal rights people killed their dogs and released all their mink.so after that nobody and i mean nobody is allowed to see or tour our birds.just thought i would share that with everybody and i hate to be that way but i have a flock to protect.

Lenny

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »

Saw a petting zoo type place the other day. Drove in, but wouldn't step off the running boards of my truck , for bio reasons.
No one needs to bring some "bug" home with them.

I do not go to sales. Too many unknowns.

People wanting to see my birds (other people raising birds) can view pictures.

Too tired to post more right now...(up @ 4 , sleep by 10)
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:02:02 AM »

I am just like Reeves on this on. I dont even go to the zoo my kids go with the school and before they go where the birds are they take a shower and there shoes get sprayed with bleach.  Your birds are have built a tolerance for anything your place might have and when you bring new "bugs" your birds are at risk. That is why all new birds must be quarentined for 30 days before joining the rest of the flock.
Royal Flush Game Birds

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:32:31 AM »

Before I was NPIP I never really thought about it but since then I dont let folks near my birds.Ive had people say they want to save on shipping cost since they live only 100 miles away or so but most just want to see your operation and get any ideas they can.

There are people who pose as small backyard flock owners as well but are really trying to grow there mid size operation. If someone wants to come by I just tell them I will have there order ready and meet them at the house but they cant see my birds and 9 times out of 10 you never see them or hear from them. I once had a guy come by who seemed honest enough and I actually gave him alot of time and help afterwards only to find out that when I was in a bind and needing a few birds he charged me more for my own bloodline that Ive ever charged anyone in my life. Needless to say I never hear from him and Im glad of it!

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »

We keep very strict security measures in place.  Check out what was on the news last night. 

http://wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS/MGArticle/SLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351943120

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:24:29 PM »

And of course this today......

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/pdf/070907cancellation.pdf

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »

For the above reasons, that is a big reason I (nearly) always tell a person asking about sick birds to take it in to a Vet to find out why it died.

If a person has birds dieing, they need to know so it can be contained.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »

This is one of my biggest fears about having a gamebird business. A flock locally  getting A.Flu and all my birds being culled without any compensation.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:29:49 AM »

As far as biosecurity goes here at my farm, no one in the pen or barns. This includes all WVDNR and WVAG, unless propertly suited up.

People visiting must remain on all sidewalks. All business related to the game birds will be conducted at the house, and any purchases will be brought up in advance to arrival.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
GameBirdSource

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »

I appreciate the insight. Again some of this is a bit new to me. With the poultry we went to open shows at many locations. People from several states would bring their birds into a building, cage them and have them judged. 2 days later we would all take our birds back home. Some quarantined for a bit before re-entry to their flocks, other didn't. After talking to a few people in the gamebird community, I just found it interesting & informative. I am going to take the approach its better to be overly cautious then to throw caution to the wind.

People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »