Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:06:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Coturnix egg eating Safety
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix egg eating Safety  (Read 4451 times)
HollinVA
« on: June 28, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »

This is my first year with quail, and I just recently had a hen die (after checking symptoms and reading the posts, I gather it was not due to disease--it looked as if she got bound up trying to lay an egg--perhaps I could have saved her if I had noticed the swollen vent and pushed it back in)

At any rate, besides being unpleasant in itself, this also got me worrying about eating the eggs--is there any time when it is unsafe to eat the eggs?  any disease that transmits to the egg? or to the meat for that matter?

I don't eat the eggs raw, but any knowledge about raw or cooked safety would be very much appreciated--

Thanks.

Hollin

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:42:47 PM »

This is my first year with quail, and I just recently had a hen die (after checking symptoms and reading the posts, I gather it was not due to disease--it looked as if she got bound up trying to lay an egg--perhaps I could have saved her if I had noticed the swollen vent and pushed it back in)

At any rate, besides being unpleasant in itself, this also got me worrying about eating the eggs--is there any time when it is unsafe to eat the eggs?  any disease that transmits to the egg? or to the meat for that matter?

I don't eat the eggs raw, but any knowledge about raw or cooked safety
would be very much appreciated--

Thanks.

Hollin

Hollin,

I am surprised that no one has jump on this one yet. So I guess I will give you my recommendations/suggestions.

1) You stated the hen died due to enlarged vent. This is called prolapsed. There is a 50/50 chance that the hen will survive after you have re-inserted the vent. If the vent remains open, she will more then likely get her insides pecked out, and will die.

If you have more hens’ with this problem, you can still slaughter them right after she has laid her egg. There is nothing wrong with the meat. I would not suggest slaughtering the hens that had already expired, unless you have seen the birds expire while in the pen.

Prolapsed is cause when an old hen  lays an egg that is larger then usual, and due to the fact that she has out lived her egg laying years causes the vagina to enlarge and not rescind. Young hens in there 1st year of egg laying with prolapsed is due to insufficient nutrients and low protein levels. 

2) Eating eggs- They’re  no reasons why you can’t eat the eggs. As long as you collect the eggs daily and they are clean go for it. If you suspect any birds that may be sick, do not eat any of the eggs. Medicated the birds with the proper medication for the symptoms that you have. A vet check is actually advised. Have fun finding one.

After you have administered the medication for 10-14 days, the normal wait time is 14 days after the last medication date to either slaughter for consumption or resume egg collection for consumables.

I hope this helps you out.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
HollinVA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 10:21:45 PM »

Thanks Steve for the information--it was very helpful.

I don't think I have any sick birds now, but does anyone know good places to get medicines and so forth when and if I need them?

Also, why should one not eat eggs of birds suspected to be sick?  Is the sickness in the eggs, too, and thus transmissible to the consumer?  I know this is probably a stupid question, but other than the rudimentary knowledge needed so far with my birds, I don't think I've surpassed my high school knowledge of biology.

Any tips on cleaning eggs?  Is just running under water sufficient?  That's what I've been doing and haven't gotten sick yet, anyway.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:34:28 AM »

Thanks Steve for the information--it was very helpful.

I don't think I have any sick birds now, but does anyone know good places to get medicines and so forth when and if I need them?

Also, why should one not eat eggs of birds suspected to be sick?  Is the sickness in the eggs, too, and thus transmissible to the consumer?  I know this is probably a stupid question, but other than the rudimentary knowledge needed so far with my birds, I don't think I've surpassed my high school knowledge of biology.

Any tips on cleaning eggs?  Is just running under water sufficient?  That's what I've been doing and haven't gotten sick yet, anyway.

Hollin,

You should be able to get the meds from your local feed store, if not you can order from any online supplier. www.cutlerssupply.com www.strombergschickens.com

Eating eggs from suspected chickens or any game birds is not advisable. Eggs, as far as I know, can carry many diseases in which can be transmitted to humans. Salmonella is one.

Depending on how dirty the eggs are, either wash with fresh water with or without a bleach solution of 10%. You can also use anti-bacterial hand soap as well to wash the eggs. Eggs that are going to be consumed should be refrigerated as soon as possible.

With in the last 4 years, I have given away as consumables over 28,000 pheasant eggs and no one has ever gotten sick.

Just keep you laying area clean and discard all eggs that look suspicious. Examples, hairline cracks, pinholes, transparent areas in the egg. Muddy eggs. Eggs that smell after being washed. Use you own judgment. Would you eat something that didn’t look or smell right?

Have a nice day! Time to take care of the birds here in WV.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
HollinVA
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »

Thanks again!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »