Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feed for colony breeders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feed for colony breeders  (Read 3255 times)
drwink
Expert Member

« on: January 03, 2005, 09:49:57 AM »

Ok my bobs started laying a few days ago. These are birds I hatched last memorial day. I have a red heat lamp at one end as we have had some single digit temps at night last week. I've got 15 females as I lost one on Christmas morning due to ? :? but the rest are doing fine. Had 4 eggs saturday & 10 eggs on sunday.
 I have been just feeding flight conditioner & matenience but figure I need to change over to something else. I a couple weeks I want to start collecting eggs for the bater. When I think I can get enough to start hatching within a weeks time. What should I start feeding Layena ?
 What is the best temp to store the eggs at prior to incubation ? I only have hovabators so far so can't put more than a hundered at a time.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 12:23:32 PM »

I start feeding my pheasants layer feed about a month before I think they'll start laying. I've used Layena before, but if you can find a gamebird breeder or a pheasant breeder feed from a local mill, go with that. The Purina is way overpriced. I use a gamebird breeder feed from Hamilton Farm Bureau down here, with good success. I've also used a gamebird finisher feed with oyster shells set in a seperate feeder with good results too. I'm planning on feeding my quail the gamebird breeder this year, and shouldn't have any problems.

BTW, how did you do during ML season this year. Hope that Encore did you right  :D

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »