Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  feed mites?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: feed mites?  (Read 4174 times)
Superbird
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:30:55 AM »

I opened a new 50# bag of game bird flier feed yesterday. When I dumped it into the garbage can I use for a food bin, I noticed it was real dusty. When I got to looking at it closer, it looked like some of it had been ground or chewed up into fine particals. Then I noticed little mite looking creatures on my hands. They were white or beige colored. Real small, but if you watched you could see them move. The next day there was more of this dust looking stuff on the top of the feed.I think it was what is left after these things broke it down.Like a part they did not eat. What are these things? Will they live on or hurt the quail? Any one ever had this?

Thanks for any help!!
Jess
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:55:21 PM »

Nasty. Never heared of it, though. My idea is, though, if they are eating the feed they probably won't be eating the birds??? Just a guess.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 10:23:16 PM »

Those mites came in your feed.  Remember, just because a bag of feed is "new" to you, it may have set at the store/feed mill for months.  The only harm they will do to your birds is that they are removing some of the important components of the feed.  The small amount of protein they provide doesn't make up for what you lost though. I say throw it out and start over.

David
coveyrun
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 06:30:15 AM »

All feed bags have a date code on them, you might ask your dealer where it is and how to read it. If it is old you might tell the dealer and he should replace it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »