Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  I need "Grit" info
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need "Grit" info  (Read 24255 times)
greyghost
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »

Do all birds use grit to digest food? Do I need to add it to my Quail, Pheasant and Turkey diets? Thanks, Dave.
CoopVilla
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:32:57 AM »

Grit is nothing more than the sand and small pebbles they walk around on that have benefical minerals in the wilds.  Its natural and something the birds would seek out when needed in the wild. Cracked grains are not always availble in nature's settings. Personally, I have always kept grit available.

Source: http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modpo/e6920004.html

Suggested Grain feeding

Grain feeding may be introduced at about the fifth week.
Start with an evening feeding and give only a small amount
that the birds will clean up without wastage. When whole
grain feeding is begun and grain is fed in combination
with pellets, be sure to provide grit at all times in
separate hoppers.
If cracked, crushed or milled Brains are
utilized, Grit is not necessary.

DON'T OVERFEED GRAIN or your game birds may not get a
proper balance of the essential nutrients contained in the
pellets.

After the 10th week, grain may be fed in the morning and
the evening.

_in other words_:

At 5 weeks, keep some in a seperate feeder as a free choice - You could also mix in a very small amount each time you feed.  - they can see it and will make the choice...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:34:53 AM by CoopVilla » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »

If cracked, crushed or milled Brains are
utilized, Grit is not necessary.

No grit needed for mushy brains  :angel:

I have always had #1 grit available for new born chicks of all species (Pheasants and Quail). Helps them get used to having it around. Check at feed stores for it, or just supply a fine gravel. Although gravel in most cases will be free, it will have lots of waste, due to some being small, and some too large.

The grit is used in the gizard (of all birds) to grind their food up into a "paste" for proper digestion.

Another thing many forget (or do not want to bother with) is sand. They all love to sand bath, often many times a day. Helps keep them busy, keeps the feathers in prime condition as well. I get mine from along side a local river.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »

A sand box will do wonders for a gamebird. You will never realize all of the benefits  they receive from having one available...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »

I keep a sand box in each pen with brick sand and oyster shell mixed in it.
They love it.
Go to web page for pictures of lay out.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
greyghost
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »

Thank you all! Slider, Press one for English, Hell no! I will not! s98
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »

I know this is an old post, but... I have been giving my bobs a sandbox since I put them in the big pen outside. I assume that it will suffice as "grit" too... Am I wrong? Do I need to have something other than sand in there? I had chick grit in there for a while (and in the brooder box) and they didn't eat it much... The sand on the other hand, disappears quite quickly! There is usually some bigger peices left in the pan that I assume are too big for them to eat. Hope I'm not screwing them up... They seem fine.....
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »

If it is fine sand, no it is not enough.

Two ways to do it.
One is the #1 granite you can buy.
Second is plain old gravel. They'll pick out the size they like/want/need. Change often (weekly) depending on dish size.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:47:10 AM »

Do i get the granite at lowes or somewhere like that? i will check 2moro. excuse the grammar. using my phone not the computer.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:30 AM »

You'll have to go to a feed store, Lowe's doesn't even have blasting sand.  Grani-Grit is the most common brand name, I've found.   You'll use 50 pounds, but it'll last quite a while.  I think I pay about $6.  I just checked Tractor supply, they get $5.95 for 5 pounds!  But at least they have it.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »

But at least they have it.

Maybe.

There may be an empty place on the shelf where there used to be 2 bags last november.  Just keep the saying, "Tough _hit Charlie" running through your mind (TSC)while walking in the door so you will be prepared for what's to come.

s020

That's one of my favorite places to kill some time.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

I checked with the store nearest her, before I posted.  Fred went back and looked, they have four bags of the chick size, and six of the chicken size.

Charlie is right, better call first.

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »

got it! they were into it as soon as i put it in. thanks.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

Missed those last two posts from you two smartie pants when I posted earlier from my phone... But anyhow, the co-op where I get my feed had some. Grani-grit, I think it is. I got the starter size... The next size looked like it would be to big... I didn't see anything like #1 or #2 or anything. Hopefully I did good.... ??? They like it regardless. However, I need to get another feeder or something because the pan I have it in also, according to them, serves as a dust bath. s20
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »

Grani-grit, I think it is. I got the starter size...

" You'll have to go to a feed store, Lowe's doesn't even have blasting sand.  Grani-Grit is the most common brand name, I've found".

Hmmmmm.........

Yes, the starter grit is #1 It used to be printed on the bag.  Where is that icon?  You might take a look at the label sometime.

I really thought one of us had mentioned "starter", guess that was a different thread.

And I should have popped off about the grit disappearing.  I use one of the small galvanized feeders that screw on a jar.  Put it up a little high, so they have to reach a little to get it (not 4 feet).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:46:25 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »