Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feeding Full Grown Coturnix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding Full Grown Coturnix  (Read 4050 times)
JohnInDixon
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »

When I was much younger raising chickens on our farm, we fed chickens (maybe) a couple of times a day. They didn't have an unlimited quantity of food, except what they scratched for. I check on my quail several times a day (when I'm home) and my full grown birds always seem like they're starving.  They eat constantly. I'm sure there are several different theories out there, but do you ...
1. feed them once a day?
2. Twice?
3. Ensure feed is constantly available?

Once they get full size, I'm not fattening them up but I don't want to deprive them of the goodies they need to keep the eggs coming.

Any ideas?

John
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:35:09 PM »

I try my best to ensure that feed is always available.

But yes coturnix will eat worth their short life span. LOLs I couldn't hardly keep up with coturnix in the past. Never raised them for eggs though, only for meat.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »

From the looks of your baby picture, it doesn't look like you where hurtin' any for feed, share some with the birds!  LOL!

Although I have never raised coturnix, I have feed out for my Bobs 24/7, plus I give them some regular ole wild bird feed once a day and garden scraps.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »

Hello, I've been mixing gamebird breeder and hen scratch 2/1 it seems to fill them up more and I get eggs regularly. They will eat 24/7 it seems but the feed lasts longer though. GOD BLESS, Tommy
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:53:37 PM »

My Coturnix out eat my Jumbo Bobwhites 2 to 1.
Hard to believe a bird 1/4 the size can eat that much. I use those GQF rectangular feeders that hold about 4 pounds & wind up refilling it about every other day so they always have feed.
I'd rather eat a Bobwhite anyday.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 09:39:56 PM »

Hello All, I wish my coturnix would out eat my bob's 2/1 but its more like 3-4/1 if they happen to just barely run out of feed they act like I commited a crime and they've not eaten in a week or so. I'm glad birds don't talk cuz I bet they are cussing me up and down. I have my birds in a climate controlled building and right next to my coturnix are my bob's they're just sitting there looking pretty they just started laying and I can't wait til they are in full production. Thanks,GOD BLESS, Tommy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »