Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Sexing Chukars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sexing Chukars  (Read 31453 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: May 23, 2006, 11:39:22 AM »

Over the time I've been a member I have seen this question a number of times. So, thought I'd use this rain day to post the info on sexing Chukars.
Admin, you may want to save this info, or sticky it ?

VENT SEXING IN CHUKAR PARTRIDGES
        Sexes of chukar partridges (Alectoris chukar), and other species of partridge, are difficult to distinguish because the sexes often have similar plumage. A method for determining the sex of day-old chukars was described by Siopes and Wilson (1973) based on a modified vent-sexing technique commonly used for domestic poultry (Komatsu 1935).
        According to Siopes and Wilson, sex determination is based on the shape of genital protuberance (Fig. 16-4). In males, the protuberance is large and either cone or heart shaped. In females, the protuberance is absent or is small and flat.
        The technique of cloacal sexing involves placing the head or neck between the index and middle finger, and placing the thumb on the lower abdomen. Then, apply gentle pressure with the thumb of the holding hand to evert the cloaca and expel fecal matter. After the cloaca is slightly everted, the small genital protuberance on the neutral rim of the vent is examined under a bright light.
        Manipulation of this area with the thumb and index finger of the free hand provides an optimum view for accurately determining sex. This technique requires much practice before a high level of accuracy can be expected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:43:20 PM by RedOakGamebirds » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:42:22 AM »

SHANK SEXING IN CHUKAR PARTRIDGE
    Woodard et al. (1985) reported that a shank length measurement greater than or equal to 60 millimeters (2.4 inches) for males and less than 60 millimeters (2.4 inches) for females could be used to predict sexes in chukar partridges from 8 through 64 weeks of age. Beyond 64 weeks of age, best accuracy of sexes was made using a shank measurement of greater than or equal ot 61 millimeters(2.4 inches) for males and less than 61 millimeters (2.4 inches) for females (Tables 16-3). All measurements of shank length were made with a dial caliper on the left leg from the foot pad to the top of the hock joint after the leg was flexed to a 90 degree angle from the tibia.

Table 16-3. Predicting sex of chukar using shank measurements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                                          Age (weeks)
                                                                                                           Juvenile                                                 Adult
Parameters                                                                                    n           8          10            12         20         32           64
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Percent
Adult females with shank length 60 mm                                   396          2.5         6.9          13.3      14.1     16.9          26.0
Adult males with shank length 60 mm                                      372         13.5         1.6             .4         0          1.7             .1
Accuracy for both sexes                                                         768         92.2       95.5         92.8      91.8      90.7         86.3
Adult females with shank length 61 mm                                   396                         7.8
Adult males with shank length 61 mm                                      372                         5.6
Accuracy for both sexes                                                         768                       93.3
Adapted from Woodard et al. (1985)

When all other methods of sexing adult chukars fail, surgical sexing is highly effective, but laborious and very stressful on birds. One method of surgical sexing is to immobilize the bird as for caponizing. A small incision is made between the second to last and last rib. Spreaders are used to open the incision and the sex of the bird can be easily determined. However, all surgery is traumatic and stressful and the risk of surgical complications is always present.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:48:11 AM »

The is out of the book:
Commercial and Ornamental
Game Bird Breeders
Handbook
by
Allen Woodard, Pran Vohra & Vern Denton
published by Hancock House

This is a must have book for all. If your book store doesn't have it, just give the above info and they can get it in for you. You may also get it from That Quail Place ?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 05:17:36 AM »

Like I've said before.................If Reeves doesn't know it and have the documentation...........it isn't worth knowing!

Very informative post!   Thanks Reeves

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:43:05 AM »

Thank You !

You are Welcome !

I see I have to re-do the chart in shank , the numbers somehow got shifted around....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:40:22 PM »

"Shank"??????

Like I said.............................Genius!     :laugh:

Seriously, Thanks for the time and effort........I'm sure alot of birds (and coyotes, fox, cats, snakes, falcons, hawks, dogs, coons, weasels, owls, humanoids, etc.) appeciate the info.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »

Is it true that the male is the only one that has a Spur nub, which is generally visible after the first 8-10 weeks?
Never mind did a Search, and found that NO that isn't always the case!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:23:09 AM by labmancan » Logged

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »

I use that same method I was taught long ago.  I can tell by the overall size of the bird.  The males are a bit more bulky, Females are slimmer.  You can also go by just the head. Males have a larger wider head females ussualy have a slimmer head.  Use that and the "Spurs" and its fairly easy to make a quick guess.  Best way to tell is throw 2 together that you think are a pair, when you get fertile eggs you know.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:27:49 AM »

Great info Reeves..One other way to tell the males during breeding season is to go out to the pens everyday and pick up the dead ones out of the pen. They will all be males if you are colony breeding...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »