Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turkey  (Read 7282 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: April 30, 2004, 08:22:23 AM »

:) Was out yesterday morning hunting those really big game birds...Turkey. Not a sound out of them. :(  I guess since my quail aren't getting frisky yet I should have known the Turkeys wouldn't be gobbling. New insight into Turkey hunting, watch the birds in your pen to see when things get fired up! 8)  Talked to a couple people in other parts of the state, and nobody has heard any gobbling yet. :?

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
britguy33
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 01:49:51 AM »

Here in So iLL. wE HAD GOOD ACTION 2 WEEKS AGO BUT THEN IT TURNED COLD AGAIN AND THEY TURNED OFF. wORKED OUT GOOD FOR GUYS WITH 3RD -4TH season tags. Hang in there My bobs just started gettin frisky again Since the cold lifted. Those longbeards will be horned up this weekend.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 12:14:10 AM »

Won't get to go out again until next Thursday. Hopefull things are going strong by then. Got the first egg from my Bobs today, things are looking up! :D

mikewvgsp
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »

Hay
was out on sat. they were talking right up to daylight then NONE :evil:
will try next week.        mike
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 08:39:19 PM »

Drove up to Knox county today to pick up some bees at Simpson's Apiary. Saw a nice Tom walking across a no-till corn stubble field on the way up there. Made me think I shoulda had a gun in my hands instead of a steering wheel! 8)

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 08:58:13 PM »

All I've heard for past week here in Athens County Ohio is turkeys gobbling all around, it hasn't been as intense the past couple of days since it cooled off. I was out clearing brush today and could hear a few turkey and the thumping of ruffed grouse all day. I suppose that it was ruffed grouse, unless there is another bird that makes that same sound. The turkey are extremely numerous in this area, looks as if someone drug a hay rake thru the woods.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
duck nutt
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 09:29:16 AM »

i'm gonna have to take up turkey hunting....we've seen more turkey on our place this year than ever before..i see a drove/herd/flock every evening...
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »

Didn't get to go today, no sitter. :(  Wouldn't get many birds to come in with my 4 yr old sitting (running, talking, screaming, singing, coughing, etc...) next to me. Might get to go tomorrow.  :)

britguy33
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 12:53:33 AM »

I found out recently that turkeys will bust open and kill any eggs that they come across other than their own. Plenty more reason to kill em.they were introduced into our area 10 or so years ago and the quail population has suffered ever since. KILL EM' ALL!!!!!!!!
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 08:56:04 AM »

Turkey will scavange any eggs they come across including other turkey eggs. :shock:  However during the mating season they rarely travel more than a few hundred yards usually much less when old tom has a harem he's keeping an eye on. :wink:  Only a small percentage of Turkey and Quail habitat overlaps. So the only Quail eggs they might come across would be clutches that are layed in late spring/summer. Turkey and Quail got a long fine long before the first white man entered the picture.  8) I'm glad to see Turkeys around and thank the DNR for their hard work in establishing some great populations in most of their former range. :)  Now I'd like to see them concentrate on Quail and Grouse for a while!  :roll:  Didn't get to go out this morning will have to try next week. I'm taking the NRA certification class for my CCW permit all day tomorrow so will not get out this weekend.  :!:

duck nutt
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 09:40:35 AM »

i can't remember where i read it, but a research team monitored dozens of quail nests in a heavily populated turkey area, and didn't lose a single nest to turkeys......if i remember where i read that, i'll post it later
squirrelhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »

I've heard they kill rattlesnakes. Not so bad, but as for the quail egg eating thing, KILL THE TURKEYS!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »